Other Wheel Bearing? - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Loxy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 22nd September 2016, 09:58 Thread Starter

Car: 2012 2.2SE 5dr NightHawk Blk
Wheel Bearing?

Hi All,
Has any one had experience with wheel bearing noise or anything else that would cause similar noise. I have just had an MOT & service at the dealer where I bought my 2012 2.2 DTEC ES and I asked them to pay particular attention to the wheel bearing as I could hear a "droning" / "rubbing" noise. I pointed this out to the Salesman after the test drive but he assured me that, although he had not had any problems with wheel bearings, if there was a problem it would be picked up during the pre-delivery inspection. My car has done just short of 60K miles, front pads were replaced in Jan (this was also a claim of the Salesman that they may be making a noise because the car had been laid up for a while.)

The response from the service staff after the MOT/Service was that it was rear wheel Tyre noise but IMHO it is too low a note to be attributed to tyre noise. As you can tell, I'm not a Mechanic or even THAT mechanically minded but I've driven quite a few cars in my 30 years driving experience. I once drove a works vehicle that made a similar but louder noise, which turned out to be drive shaft!

Any one got any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 22nd September 2016, 14:49
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2009 Championship White FN2
Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,107 Posts
Eco display
Jack that wheel up and check for any play in the X and Y axis and spin the wheel and listen for a rumble.

If it is wheel bearing, you should hear it. Brakes catching can give a similar sound, but you should be able to tell the difference when the wheel is jacked up.
Farqui likes this.
Thanks to Loxy from:
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 22nd September 2016, 17:20
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
what tyres are fitted its maybe road noise from the tyres quit often can be louder than a noisy bearing

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 9th November 2017, 21:42
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8 ES Orchid White
It could be that the rear tyres have feathered. This is where every other year wears a little more than the one in between odd even odd even. That makes a lot of noise. It happens if the rear tyres have done a lot of miles. That's why places will swap the rear tyres to the front when the fronts are replaced. The front tyres don't feather because they are doing the steering.

But first Jack up and check wheel bearing as above.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Thanks to Woodlikesbikes from:

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Brakes (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page