Tyre Choice Economic Summer Tyre Help Please - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11th April 2017, 07:57 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2018 1.5T Sport, Sonic Grey
Garage
Economic Summer Tyre Help Please

Hi All,

I currently have some Continental T860 winter tyres on that are brilliant, however as it gets warmer I want to swap them for summer tyres so I can keep them and use them for a good few winters.

The OEM Primacy HP were good and the rears I took off in November are still fine, but the fronts aren't worth putting back on (10,000 miles of city driving)

My commute is now much longer, Sheffield to Halifax, but mainly Mway where I'm just sat at the speed limit.

I want a tyre that will give me great economy at steady speeds, ideally last for ages (I want to alternate these with the winters for a few years), but not be rubbish in the wet.

Doesn't need to be a premium brand, as long as the reviews are positive. Previously had all sorts from Toyos, to Yoko's to F1's, to Accelera's (on a 500 Prelude) to Kumho's and Pirelli's .

Not bothered about snow/ice performance as I will put the winters back on in November ish.

I've never looked at tyres for economy/longevity but now it makes sense to.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11th April 2017, 08:04
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift 5DR
Ive found anything by michelin lasts for ages. I had a set of energy saver on my old C3 and did 45k miles on them before they got down to 3mm and i had them changed.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11th April 2017, 08:56 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Thanks lightningslow, that's what I thought but was surprised to see my OEM Primacy HP's on the front only lasting 10k last year...?

I don't drive particularly fast either, and never reach the limit of traction these days.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th April 2017, 18:40
GT3
Supporter

Michelins usually have a brilliant wear rate but are very expensive. A cheaper option is a Uniroyal Rainsport, a fantastic tyre in wet and dry, but will wear a little more quickly.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 18th April 2017, 08:05 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Hi,

Looked at the Rainsports, get great reviews and are well priced, but actually went with Toyo Proxes CF2 in the end, 136 fitted for 2.

Put my part warn Primacy HP's back on the rear (although I discovered one had a screw through it that needed repairing.)

New Toyos seem a good tyre from reviews - Toyo Proxes CF2 - Tyre Reviews Initial turn-in is sharper and quicker than the Continental winters and at first feel less stable and "over steer-y", but the grip is decent, meant to be good in the wet too. Should wear well looking at the reviews too.

Thinking whether it would be a good idea to get a second set of alloys to put the winters on so I can quickly swap them over in November myself, does anyone know if the 8th gen civic wheels (more easy to find 2nd hand) are the same size/hole pattern?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 18th April 2017, 10:31
Supporter

Car: 2012 CIVIC 2.2 I-DTEC SE
I use 8g alloys for winter tyres. The only difference is the offset by 10mm which pushes the wheels further into the arches. Haven't had any fouling problems.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Brakes (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page