Suspension Clunk when going over bumps at speed - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 30th October 2017, 18:38 Thread Starter

Car: 2012 1.8 SE Silver
Garage
Clunk when going over bumps at speed

Hi,

I have started hearing a clunk, apparently from my front left wheel, when I go over bumps at speed. This started happening last weekend.

I have 4 bumps to go over every time I enter/exit my residential area, and the access road's speed limit is 15mph. If I take a bump at 10mph or less, I don't hear a clunk. When I first noticed the clunk, I tried going at my usual 13-15mph on that road and got a clunk on 2 of the 4 bumps.

The car otherwise seems to be driving fine, and steering is OK - I need to do lock to lock while parking due to tight space, and don't get any concerning noises (all smooth through the steering). Also, I had a service in August and an MOT in late September, neither of which reported any problems.

I've read in these forums about older 8Gs having trouble with the drop links, but my car (62 reg, bought just over a year ago) has just under 30K miles - a bit early for that to go, surely? Would this be the same thing, or are there other causes for this noise?

Any knowledge about whether suspension trouble would be covered under the extended warranty, or is it a wear and tear thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 9th November 2017, 19:01
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8 ES Orchid White
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadouKen View Post
Hi,

I have started hearing a clunk, apparently from my front left wheel, when I go over bumps at speed. This started happening last weekend.

I have 4 bumps to go over every time I enter/exit my residential area, and the access road's speed limit is 15mph. If I take a bump at 10mph or less, I don't hear a clunk. When I first noticed the clunk, I tried going at my usual 13-15mph on that road and got a clunk on 2 of the 4 bumps.

The car otherwise seems to be driving fine, and steering is OK - I need to do lock to lock while parking due to tight space, and don't get any concerning noises (all smooth through the steering). Also, I had a service in August and an MOT in late September, neither of which reported any problems.

I've read in these forums about older 8Gs having trouble with the drop links, but my car (62 reg, bought just over a year ago) has just under 30K miles - a bit early for that to go, surely? Would this be the same thing, or are there other causes for this noise?

Any knowledge about whether suspension trouble would be covered under the extended warranty, or is it a wear and tear thing?
That age and mileage it could easily be a drop link (also known as an anti roll bar link). On the plus side they are cheaper than most suspension parts.

My old focus used to need the drop links replacing every year

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10th November 2017, 06:06
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Brakes (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page