Brakes Brake Set Help - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Markj1999

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st June 2018, 15:44 Thread Starter

Brake Set Help

Hi all, just been onto regular supplier Opie Oils, and they don't have any brakes (disc/pads) for 2012 Civic Ex.
Anyone point me in direction of decent alternative supplier?
Brembo set would be ideal, but don't want to cost the earth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st June 2018, 17:21
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
AFAIK, Brakes are based on engine size. To memory, the 1.4 Has smaller discs at the front, with the 1.7, 1.6 and 2.2 sharing a larger size.

I've seen MTEC Mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but I haven't used them myself - The prices look decent though, and there are plenty of options for fancy grooves / drilled discs if that takes your fancy. They only have Mintex pads on there though, so if you are looking for performance you'll have to do a bit more digging.

Are you just looking for discs and pads, or a full kit with calipers et al, given the desire for brembo?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st June 2018, 17:54
Supporter

Car: 2010 1.4 i-VTEC Sapphire Blu
Hi Mark,

I went to EBC Brakes Direct (using the discount code posted in the sticky) for discs and green stuff pads for rear (1.4 petrol FK1) last year. I'm happy with the braking and low brake dust in comparison to Honda OE pads. I also changed the pads only for the front to green stuff a month after doing the rear set.

Someone also recommended to go to FreakyParts (Stewart, iirc) here who does slightly better prices in comparison. But I got my stuff from EBC as I was in a bit of a rush and Stewart and I didn't make contact in time. I'll definitely try him next time I need something.

I hope this helps.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2018, 13:57

Car: 2008 Civic EX
Garage
I like to use Centric pads/rotors. They are a division of Steptech that competes with Brembo. That also sell slotted/drilled rotors you might be able to buy on Amazon. But I am from the states so I have no idea what options you have across the pond...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 27th June 2018, 07:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for all your help. After extensive research 🙄, went with the MTEC option. Website not the easiest to navigate but managed to get full set of discs & pads for 230. There is online discount option too with code NEW10. Thanks again 👍
Farqui likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 30th June 2018, 19:07 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi all,
Have done full re fit over last two days in sweltering heat. Ordered full set from MTEC and also painted calipers as all wheels were off.
Rear calipers smaller than previous ones in diameter (260 mm as opposed to 276mm) but on checking, there seemed to be adequate coverage of pad to disc.
Wheels all back on and set for test drive......
Car won't budge.
It's as if back brakes are locked on.
Have pumped pedal few times but car won't move an inch and is defo locked at the rear as car tries to pull from front.
Please can anyone help?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2018, 12:55
Unofficial Trader

Sorry for not getting back to you in time, we were away in France.
We can usually do better prices than EBC and Mtec direct, even with their discount codes so worth dropping me a message or emailing me at [email protected]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th July 2018, 11:38

Car: 2014 1.8 Civic EX GT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markj1999 View Post
Car won't budge.
It's as if back brakes are locked on.
Have pumped pedal few times but car won't move an inch and is defo locked at the rear as car tries to pull from front.
Please can anyone help?
The handbrake mechanism is attached to the rear brakes, did everything go back flush and not pinching? I had a pain getting the rear calipers back on for this reason. Is there any difference in the handbrake travel compared to before?

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Brakes (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page