Tyre Choice Best tyres for turn in - Civinfo
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Das
  • 1 Post By stimcity

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 17:51 Thread Starter

Best tyres for turn in

My car is nearly ready for some new boots. It has standard 17" Sport alloys with 225 45 R17 tyres, Bridgestone ER300 as fitted from new. I actually find the Bridgestones to be quite good and for not being a sports orientated tyre they seem to have a fairly responsive turn in. Whilst you can still get them they are old hat and with limited stock probably cost more that they should.

What sports orientated gets the vote? Looking for something with a stiff sidewall and something that as well as being good in the dry has good wet weather performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 18:11
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 18:16 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yeah I watched that the other day, I think that guy does some great review videos. For my car it would be the PS4 as that's all you can get in 17" fitment. Have heard reasonable things about the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3 too but was just wondering subjectively how much difference there will be to my current Bridgestones. Either way it'll be a premium tyre I go for as tyres isn't something worth scrimping on.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 18:37
Das
i-Vtec

Garage
Ive always found Bridgestones noisy tbh. I run Asymmetric 3's on my Gen 8 and TBH, whilst they are a good all round tyre, I wouldn't say there is great turn in on them, they are "safe" if you know what I mean? Pretty good in the rain though. Maybe if you went with the XL version youd get better turn in due to the stiffer sidewalls. Best tyre I ever ever ran was Yokohama 008's, so might be worth having a look at whats available from Yokohama these days. The lower the Rolling Resistance rating usually points to a sticker tyre, but of course the down side is that they will wear out quicker.
stimcity likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 18:44
Das
i-Vtec

Garage
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 19:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Cheers Das, tyre choice will always be difficult as there is so much choice and there is always a compromise to be had as no tyre offers everything.

I've ran Yokohama before albeit some time ago and from memory they were good but as you point out soft.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 27th September 2018, 20:20
Supporter

Car: 2010/1 Milano FN2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das View Post
Yokohama Advan Sport 105

Great responsiveness 100%, but look at the Tread wear versus Mileage, 40% .......

https://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/yokoh...d=2254517YK5YX
I inherited a set of these on the wheels I recently purchased from Loxy , made a huge (positive) difference prior to having the meister setup. Corners on rails and hugely inspires confidence. Now my commute is way more fun. Would definitely consider again, currently looking at conti all seasons and another set of wheels for winter though.
Bones126 likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 28th September 2018, 00:18
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
I've ran Yokohama before albeit some time ago and from memory they were good but as you point out soft.
I've had the Yokohama V105's on from new, so whilst my experience with other tyres is limited, I'd say they are very good - At around £80 a corner, it's not a bad shout price wise, either. (And Jap tyres for Jap car, which is most important )

They've been on for 14000 Miles now, and the back tyres are virtually still new, with about 5mm on the front:- Turn in response is excellent; Even when I've cocked up a corner entry, with a dab of front brakes they whave brought me round very quickly:- I've never had any squeals etc. whilst cornering, so even when it's gone a bit wrong they still have a fair amount left in them. Wet perfomance on the V105 gets knocked back a little by some newer tyres in the more recent tests, I've never had an issue with them in the wet, even when doing 115 (That's all the 1.4's got ) on the Autobahn. They've proven sturdy, too, as a with a fairly harsh kerbing (wince) they just bounced off, when I was fully expecting them to go pop

One downside to the tyre, as with most summer tyres:- It is completely and utterly incapable on even the lightest of mud / wet grass - If you go to any winter rally stages, and park in a wet grass car park, take a friend to push you out - Speaking from experience!

Further to that, I wouldn't mind them being a little quieter at speed, though I don't have much of a frame of reference on this given the first sentence, though I imagine most would like their tyres to be quieter - It's just the roads here, In the Netherlands / Germany, I could only hear the engine

I think anything much stickier and you will start seeing rapidly deteriorating tyre life, though if price is no object, you could just constantly lob Michelin PS3s at it

Last edited by Haltamer; 28th September 2018 at 00:20.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 28th September 2018, 09:02
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
I've been a big fan of conti sport contact 2&5's (6's wear far to fast, atleast on the FK2R), and bridgestone potenza's.

The ER300's, being a mid-line tyre, I'm taking a lot of assumptions with what i think that tyre feels like (i've never driven on ER300's). I'm currently on Dunlop maxxsport RT2's and think they're really good on the road. I'd likely be using them again if it wasn't for track use.

RT2's lack the turn-in of the CSC6's, but so do the PS4S (vs csc6) according to other FK2R owners and that is why i'm going to end up with cup2's as my next purchase.

have you thought about a touch more toe (in?) to improve turn-in?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 28th September 2018, 09:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for some good responses, the Yokohama Advan V105 appears to get good reviews on here which is backed up by fair reviews in online tests. I suspect the margins in those tests are so slim that in terms of pure feel there's little to differentiate the top tyres although some appear to grip well but don't have a particularly sharp turn in that I'm looking for.

With regards to my current ER300 it's a bit of a mystery. I've driven BMW's for the last 20 plus years, fitted with Bridgestone Potenza, Michelin Pilot Sport, Pirelli PZero and other good brands. For some reason the civic with it's mid-range Bridgestone and also fitted with an Eibach Pro kit appears to have a sharper and more direct steering response that all my BMW's. It may be more about the difference in weight than the tyre itself, something I won't know until I change tyres.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 13:23

Car: 2013 1.8 TI
I put Michelin PS4ís all round and in conjunction with Eibach springs and spacers it gives great handling, stability and comfort. Way better than the stock set up.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 15:55
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
I'm currently looking for some tyres; 225/45/R17 as above.
The V105s have served me well over 20,000 highly enthusiastic miles, and are now nudging below the 4mm mark:- Their price and performance means I'd have no trouble ordering them again, however I'd like to get out there and try something else.

I'm looking for maximum dry grip, whilst not being an aquaplane deathtrap; Something like a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - But they don't sell them in 225 45 R17 here!

I'm thinking of ContinetntalPremiumContact6's next, as they tie with the PilotSport4 in most tests.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 21:30 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Well I've gone and bought some 19 inch rims so looking for some 225 35 19's in the next few weeks. I'm going to pop winter rubber on my standard alloys.

With the bigger wheels there's a better choice of sporty rubber albeit at inflated cost!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 22:50

i'd take a look at this for a bargain
https://alltyres365.co.uk/Tyre/car/s...225/45R17+91V/
Quote from autoexpress 'That grip could be seen in the cornering result, which saw it take the win'
source https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/access...ta-hs51-review
bit of a weird review as it doesn't appear in the list on the left but the website could have ****ed up since 2017
For the money if you have a local fitter looks worth a punt....

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Brakes (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page