• 1 Post By Lucas_Doel
  • 2 Post By jakeyboy
  • 1 Post By diadulia
  • 1 Post By rob.e

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 19th September 2019, 17:38 Thread Starter

Car: 2016 Civic Sport (Facelift)
Garage
Question Need help! Don't know much about wheels!!

Hi everyone! I'm starting to plan my next mod, which will probably be going +1 on the alloys (from 17" to 18"), but here's the thing..... I don't know what the hell I'm meant to be looking for!! Obviously I know how to search for 18" wheels, but then I hear words like 'offset' for example, and realise I need to think twice before buying something lol. I have 'Googled' various buzz words, so I do understand to a degree what it all means - but I just feel totaly lost when putting this into real life!

So can anyone here help explain a few things on this subject? I'm looking to understand;

Which width alloys are good on the 9G - is that a stupid question even? I see this as a mandatory option on a lot of sites, so assumed it was relevant...

What offset is good for the 9G? Is there a certain number (or range) that help with overall handling or ride comfort, or is this purely asthetic?

Are wheel spacers required?I'm assuming no at this size, BUT current alloys look too far 'in' atm - was hoping 18" wheels will push them out a bit so they're more flush with the wheel arches, but spacers might be required to achieve this.

If there's something else I've not even asked that you think is relevant, I would be more than happy to hear!

Many thanks in advance!
jakeyboy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 19th September 2019, 22:05
Supporter

Car: 09 milano ctr gt
I'm running 8x18 et 40 and I think it's a perfect fitment.
I wouldn't go any lower et than 40, and you don't need any spacers imo with et 40.
That is using 225/40/18 tyres.
I'll try and find a pic

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
diadulia and Aar like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 19th September 2019, 23:38

Car: 2016 1.6 idtec blue hatch
Garage
Nice wheels!!! Is it TD 1.2 or 1.3? Are you on lowering springs or coilowers? Any rubbing in rear arches when you have car loaded or with people in back? Been thinking of simmilar wheels but same as Lucas Doel wasnt sure of what max J and ET can civc take. Thanks for sharing pictures. Your car looks really good 👍
jakeyboy likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 20th September 2019, 05:22
Supporter

Car: 09 milano ctr gt
Thanks.
These are team dynamics 1.2s and it's just sitting on eibach springs.
Both supplied pretty reasonably and very quickly from demon tweeks.
I've never had any rubbing at all, the only thing is that the plastic flaps that are on the front bumper sometimes scrape on a speed bump but they can be removed quickly.
For me it's just perfect for a daily sitting like this, the car is regularly loaded with my wife and two kids and it's fine.
I personally wouldn't go up to 19's, probably a wee bit too harsh and extra at tyre time.
The team dynamics are a bit old school now but my thinking was that there is still a bit of a demand for them second hand if I did want to sell them on.
Looking forward to seeing what set up you get

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 20th September 2019, 08:41
Supporter

Car: 2015 Civic Tourer D-TEC SR
Garage
lucas - for reference the factory option 18" wheel for the 9g was 7.5" x 18" ET50. If you're worried about what will fit they just source some genuine honda 9g 18"s or a wheel in this same size.

if you're looking at aftermarket wheels with a different width or offset (et) use willtheyfit.com to work out how a wheel will sit in the arch compared to that ^ oem honda wheel.

generally on a 9g the factory wheels sit too far "in" to the arch for most folks; adding width or lower offset with help the wheel fill the arch better, as above jakey's 8" wide wheel (0.5 inch wider than oem) has 40mm offset (ET) so the centre line of the wheel is 10 mm further out than oem wheel with et50.

my rays on my tourer are stock width at 7.5" but i have a 17mm spacer on the rear. ET of the rays is 48 so with the 17mm spacer they are effectively et31 which looks great, fills the arch and the wider track is good for handling. At the front that big spacer would be too much so i've got 5mm spacer making them effectively et43.

hope this makes sense. if you're still confused, just post the wheels you're looking at here

cheers
Rob
jakeyboy likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2019, 12:12 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2016 Civic Sport (Facelift)
Garage
Thanks all for your contributions and suggestions. This has helped me understand a bit more, and more importantly - What suits the 9G in terms of setup etc...

Now I just need to get the bank balance sorted and start saving! Too many other mods in close succession have definately hurt the wallet lol.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2nd October 2019, 12:37
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
Don't forget spigot rings if you're buying aftermarket alloys

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Brakes (9G)

Tags
18" , wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in