Petrol vs Diesel - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th April 2008, 11:41 Thread Starter

Petrol vs Diesel

Discussion thread for Petrol vs Diesel. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th April 2008, 14:13
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8i Ex Navi Leather MR
My comment to this summary and graph is that it is an unfair comparison considering the diesel engine is 400 ccm bigger and turbocharged.
This fact seems to be totally ignored on here constantly.
It is not due to the diesel engine itself that everyone seems to think that it is so much more powerful than the petrol, but due to the turbo. Rip off the turbocharger and see how fast it will move then, or how much it can be remapped. Or, to put it another way, add a turbo to the petrol and leave it an 1.8 L, then we can compare. I remember very well the happy 80's when I got a (petrol) Mitsubishi Colt Turbo 82 mod. That was great fun, 106 hp - 0-100 km/h around 10 sec. and top speed around 200 km/h was extreme performance in such a little car those days. It was like driving a go-cart.
Also, the summary should have said something about the disadvanges for the diesel in cold weather. It is a well known fact that diesel engines don't like wintery conditions very well.
Also, here in Norway none of them comes with a particle filter (DPF), so many asthmatics in the bigger cities/suburbs are afraid of the vague soot particles due to the increased diesel car sale.
And even if they had DPF they are still afraid - the particle only gets smaller and may damage your lungs even more.
In my opinion Diesel engines are not as environmental friendly as the polititicians are trying to indoctrinate us. They might know something about politics, but they dont know much about car engines.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th April 2008, 17:24
Strange Engineer

@Amronno:

That would be another discussion. This is not a discussion about the pro's and cons of Diesel vs Petrol, but about the 2 engines Honda supplies.

Fact is, you can either get the 1.8 petrol or the 2.2 diesel and nothing else (let's leave out the 1.3 and the hybrid). Both have 140 HP, both have pro's and cons. That's what it's about here, the comparision between these 2 specific engines.

And a modern Diesel engine like the 2.2 doesn't have any trouble coping with wintery conditions nowadays. That used to be case long ago indeed, but not anymore. And I think the DPF is not that important actually, the source of particles is mostly nature (normal dust and so on), normal wear and tear and industry. Diesel engines are only a very small source. But that's a 3rd discussion altogether.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th April 2008, 18:31
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeph View Post
@Amronno:

That would be another discussion. This is not a discussion about the pro's and cons of Diesel vs Petrol, but about the 2 engines Honda supplies.

Fact is, you can either get the 1.8 petrol or the 2.2 diesel and nothing else (let's leave out the 1.3 and the hybrid). Both have 140 HP, both have pro's and cons. That's what it's about here, the comparision between these 2 specific engines.

And a modern Diesel engine like the 2.2 doesn't have any trouble coping with wintery conditions nowadays. That used to be case long ago indeed, but not anymore. And I think the DPF is not that important actually, the source of particles is mostly nature (normal dust and so on), normal wear and tear and industry. Diesel engines are only a very small source. But that's a 3rd discussion altogether.

The thread starter wrote: 'discussion thread for petrol vs diesel' and told us to add a comment if we wished, and that's what I did.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th April 2008, 18:39
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amronno View Post
The thread starter wrote: 'discussion thread for petrol vs diesel' and told us to add a comment if we wished, and that's what I did.
Not quite.

That is an automatically generated text when clicking on that link for the first time on a Wiki page.

The purpose of these pages is to discuss what should or should not appear on the Wiki page.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th April 2008, 18:47
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWH View Post
Not quite.
The purpose of these pages is to discuss what should or should not appear on the Wiki page.

Still not see where I went wrong, maybe I am a bit thick today. That was exactly what my intention was, to might fill in some more info on the Wiki. Sorry!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th April 2008, 18:54
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amronno View Post
Still not see where I went wrong
Not saying you did.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th April 2008, 19:11
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWH View Post
Not saying you did.

If i did it is not the first time and it certainly wont be the last...
And of course, way off topic as usual...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th September 2009, 09:24
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,772 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
I have changed the entry

Quote:
Possible clutch and gearbox problems when remapped
To

Quote:
Possible clutch problems when remapped
Because I didn't know there were gearbox issues. Also not sure whether this page should be a list of known problems on the two types - that should be the preserve of the common faults section.

Civinfo > Knowledgebase (Wiki) > Wiki Article Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page