2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed an order for a Seat Leon at a dealer. Put down £500 deposit on my credit card, in the dealer's showroom. They have not given me a delivery date, but it could be as late as next year.

I am using scrappage. The car would not pass its MOT. I had 14 days in which to move, or i would be out of the scrappage deal, if Seat failed to deliver within the scrappage timeframe.

thus I placed an order for a Civic for immediate delivery.

Since the Seat is not even in production, what are my chances of getting my money back? To my mind the dealer has not incurred any costs relative to my order.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I placed an order for a Seat Leon at a dealer. Put down £500 deposit on my credit card, in the dealer's showroom. They have not given me a delivery date, but it could be as late as next year.

I am using scrappage. The car would not pass its MOT. I had 14 days in which to move, or i would be out of the scrappage deal, if Seat failed to deliver within the scrappage timeframe.

thus I placed an order for a Civic for immediate delivery.

Since the Seat is not even in production, what are my chances of getting my money back? To my mind the dealer has not incurred any costs relative to my order.

Talk to the dealer concerned. You may have a cooling off period. Check the paperwork for the terms and conditions.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yo palhaco ...... First you entered into a contract ....... Secondly did they explain the delay ...... If not you might just have a case ...... If they did and you still went ahead if all they charge you is admin charges take the money left over and consider it a result ........They could keep all the deposit ..... Its all down to small print and goodwill man ......... ON A STEEL HORSE I RIDE

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
If they cannot give you an idea or month for production/delivery then its only reasonable for you to want the deposit back, that said , if the build is that far away , i believe that it wouldnt count as part of the scrappage scheme anyway (dealership problem, not yours).

Go back to the dealer, tell them that you think an X month wait is unreasonable and that you want your dosh back.

Simples.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
yeah check your t&c it should be refundable unless stated otherwise at the time of sale.i'm a bit baffled that seat didn't take your old car as deposit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still, no delivery date or chassis number for the SEAT.

However the dealer phoned me saying it will cost a total of £1000 to cancel the order, even though not a single bolt has gone into making the car yet, as it is still only a factory order.

Can this be justified?:confused:

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Still, no delivery date or chassis number for the SEAT.

However the dealer phoned me saying it will cost a total of £1000 to cancel the order, even though not a single bolt has gone into making the car yet, as it is still only a factory order.

Can this be justified?:confused:
I really can't see how they can expect you to wait indefinitely for a delivery date.

It sounds to me like they are trying to fob you off. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
My understanding is that orders under the scrappage scheme have to be fulfilled within 3 months.

You do qualify as long as you car will be supplied within that time.

We do not take orders where the deadline is close to the 3 monnths just incase it over runs. Some dealers have been caught out with it and either taken a loss on the car or cancelled the order.

other things that we have done is to get the car MOT'd to cover the unexpeced wait, if it passed no problem if it failed you pay for your repairs or buy somthing else.

I think the dealer is being unreasonable under the circumstances, but then I dont pay the wages of the staff.

Your real saving grace is the fact that you placed the order with your credit card because as far as I am aware its the Credit cards responsiblity as they are the owners of the deposit money and you credit card insurance should cover you.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
My understanding is that orders under the scrappage scheme have to be fulfilled within 3 months.

You do qualify as long as you car will be supplied within that time.

We do not take orders where the deadline is close to the 3 monnths just incase it over runs. Some dealers have been caught out with it and either taken a loss on the car or cancelled the order.

other things that we have done is to get the car MOT'd to cover the unexpeced wait, if it passed no problem if it failed you pay for your repairs or buy somthing else.

I think the dealer is being unreasonable under the circumstances, but then I dont pay the wages of the staff.

Your real saving grace is the fact that you placed the order with your credit card because as far as I am aware its the Credit cards responsiblity as they are the owners of the deposit money and you credit card insurance should cover you.
i'm sure a quick call to citizens advice will cleear this one up. as far as i know, the dealer has no right to charge you £1000 to cancel. especially if there are no goods to discuss.....

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am still pursuing a finance settlement from RCI Finance. I bought a used Nissan from Hammonds in Halesworth Suffolk. They did not disclose its previous owner was a car hire company til I got the V5. I rejected the car as misrepresentation, just 13 days later, yet to settle finance I was charged £521! The dealership have behaved appallingly and RCI Finance have failed to respond to my letters since May 2009. The case is now with the financial ombudsman and about to go through the small claims court. I hope you have more success.

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,666 Posts
people are just bar stewards. good luck all of you

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
If it's on a Credit card get them on your side too, they'll get their money back for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts