2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought a 2007 Honda Civic EX 1.8petrol vtec I-shift (semi-auto) in Nov 2016 privately. It has full service history and done 28000 miles.

However, I've noticed some issues since Dec 2016 that are now making me concerned. I’ve taken the car for a full service at a private garage at the start of Jan 2017, and the mechanic told me he did not find any faults. I don’t think he did a diagnostics test as it was just a general service.

Here’s the main issues that I’m having:

• In the morning, I’ll switch the car on and let it warm up for about 7-10 minutes(esp. considering it has been freezing the last few weeks). A lot of the time when I pull off, the car will judder (auto and manual mode) and on the odd occasion there will also be rear wheel spin (only manual mode). It feels as though there is a lack of power. However, if I drive for about 5-10 minutesnon-stop, there will be no judder the next time I pull off after coming to astop e.g. at a red traffic light. To get rid of the shaking/judder I have to accelerate quite hard and I’m worried that I could end up smacking into another car (especially if I’m in a parallel parking space).

• When driving using the manual pedal shift on the steering wheel, I’ve noticed that when accelerating up from any gear until 4thgear, the power is not always immediate i.e. the car hesitates for a couple of seconds before the speed/acceleration picks up. When this hesitation happens, there is a low mechanical/electrical whine noise that comes from the dashboard / passenger side for a couple of seconds before it goes away and that’s when the speed/acceleration comes through. I usually change gear at 1500-1700 RPMs to be economical in this1.8 vtec beast! (I haven’t noticed it in auto yet).

• I’ve noticed recently that the temperature gauge does not rise immediately when I switch on the car. However the gauge will creep up slowly to just below mid-way if I drive the car for 10 minutes. This happens whenever I have not driven the car for at least a 6-7 hours or more. I thought this isn’t right as before the car went for the service, the gauge was working absolutely fine.

I don’t have any videos which show the issues however I’ll try to record these and upload them.

I’m generally happy with the car and the toys that I get with it. Just concerned that the above issues may burn a deep hole in my pocket in the future and I’d rather get these sorted now.

I’d be grateful if anyone could help. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@peter66 Thanks, I think you may be right. I wasn't aware that calibration should be done every 15000km. Don't think the previous owners have had it done.

I checked the Honda UK website for recall information and can see that my car should have the handbrake replaced so when I get that booked in, i'll also get the calibration done at the same time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
550 Posts
I too have 07 civic, and experience similar issues. I get the judder very rarely only when starting to drive away.
I did pour some injection cleaner not sure if that helped but the issue return after a while.

Temp gauge is normal behaviour.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other day, the car stalled and I got the "Check System" message with the battery sign.

I have now booked it in for a diagnostic check at Honda Marshall. I told them the issue may have to do with clutch calibration and static/dynamic learning, however they requested that I book the diagnostic first. Let's hope they know what is wrong and can diagnose the issue quickly :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi ask Honda Service for printing HDS report of fault codes and the clutch condition as mentioned above we will examine it.
Thanks @peter66

I asked Honda for report before I went to pick up the car but the receptionist said they were unable to print one.

The invoice I got said the following:

Checked & found several codes stored.
Found learnt values out of range.
Carried out software update & cleared codes.
If issue persists will need rebooking for static & dynamic learning.

Found battery at 50%. Charged to 75% as battery also impacts.

The judder / hesitation started after the car was jump-started as I had a flat battery after I came back from a few weeks abroad. So it made sense that the battery had caused the software issue and juddering.

The software update seems to have cleared the judder / hesitation. I took the car for a drive from the Honda garage - The i-shift gear changes (in manual) now feel smooth and I didn't notice any lag.

I hope the issue is now fixed.

Is there anything else I should get checked?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update on this.

The judder came back on Easter Bank holiday weekend, after i'd driven 30 miles on the motorway and was in a city reversing into a parking spot.

However, no judder noticed since then.

The hesitation is still there, there is a lag in gear changes when using the paddle shift, and the car doesn't feel as smooth to drive like it did after I first got the car back from Honda.

May need to do 2 things now:

1) Replace the battery; and
2) Take the car in for the Static & Dynamic Learning.

Any other suggestions would be useful :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.