2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a new problem with my FN2.

When accelerating from around 90 to 130km/h 'ish in any gear the car seems to shake/vibrate from left to right.
Doing 100km/h either at constant speed or decelerating the vibration is gone.
The steering wheel doesn't vibrate. I feel it more in the chair, difficult to know if its the front or back of the car.

I got my new'ish tyres rebalanced and realigned (they were not bad). This seem to reduce the vibration by maybe 30%.

The car is basically stock and has done 170,000km.

Any advice or idea on what to look at or what could be causing this?

Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your engine mounts had the same thing on a clio sport but was only visible when I jacked up the engine and the mount was split

If i grab the engine from top top and try and shake it, it doesnt move at all.

What do engine mounts look like? under my car is a kind of cover thing, do i rip it off?

·
Registered
437 Posts
If i grab the engine from top top and try and shake it, it doesnt move at all.

What do engine mounts look like? under my car is a kind of cover thing, do i rip it off?
Yes to test correctly you need to remove the undertray and place a soft piece of timber on your jack and jack the engine up very gently you can then see if the car stays put or lifts with the engine , I must stress do this carefully as to not damage the engine sump in anyway , while the jacks out jack up the car and check the driveshafts are nice and straight and cv boot condition.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not yet, will get my machanic to look at my next service. Strangely it isn?t getting worse, but reduces my conference of my car to do what I tell it to do.

If it?s a ware and tear issue I?m surprised others haven?t seen it first as I don?t thrash the car (much)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Michael.

My car is a 2006 Honda Civic 1,8.

I have the same problem as you (milage around 150000 km). The problem started when we had wintertires - "try change to summer,wheels that will doo!" - done that, same ****! Went to the Honda dealer (l live in Sweden) - "your tires has separated/are defect" - so we bought new one´s and had them really well balance at a quality wheelshop. - Same ****!

The car were at inspectiontest a couple of month ago - no complains...

I had both the inner cv-joint changed - same ****!

Now we changed the bearing, in the middle of the axel. (there is a holder for the bearing mounted on the engine). SAME ****!

Well, in the begining, the steeringwheel was shaking at the same time. But now only the car is shaking...

The problem is ONLY when I accelerates. If I drop the gaspedal - it stops shaking directly!

Please help me, my mechanic won´t even touch the beast anymore...

/Rikard

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the sameproblem as you :(

Hello Michael.

My car is a 2006 Honda Civic 1,8.

I have the same problem as you (milage around 150000 km). The problem started when we had wintertires - "try change to summer,wheels that will doo!" - done that, same ****! Went to the Honda dealer (l live in Sweden) - "your tires has separated/are defect" - so we bought new one´s and had them really well balance at a quality wheelshop. - Same ****!

The car were at inspectiontest a couple of month ago - no complains...

I had both the inner cv-joint changed - same ****!

Now we changed the bearing, in the middle of the axel. (there is a holder for the bearing mounted on the engine). SAME ****!

Well, in the begining, the steeringwheel was shaking at the same time. But now only the car is shaking...

The problem is ONLY when I accelerates. If I drop the gaspedal - it stops shaking directly!

Please help me, my mechanic won´t even touch the beast anymore...

/Rikard

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
I have the same issue, have been told possible driveshaft problem, anyone had them fitted? what do they cost?

Getting one of mine replaced on Friday. £270 just for the part for passenger side :(

apparently water gets in behind the balancer mount on the driveshaft (half way along) and then rots the actual shaft itself which causes it to go out of balance and wobble, which in turn wrecks the CV. Ultimately the shaft will snap and he's seen a lot of Civics come in with snapped shafts now, due to the age they are now.

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
Done! So much smoother

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi All,

I took my car in for an inspection. They told me my CVs are fine, as well as engine mounts etc. One thing they did say was that my Front suspension lower control arm rear bushes are very soft with excessive movement. They recommended i put aftermarket offset bushes to stop the "excessive movement".

Do you think this could be the problem causing the vibration?

Cheers

·
Administrator
18,066 Posts
It's possible that worn bushes are contributing/causing the issue and replacing them isn't too costly. Why go for reinforced versions tho, new OEM spec should be fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi All,

Updates on the situation:

Got my car serviced by trusted mechanic. He checked the mounts and bushes and could not see anything wrong/broken/degraded.

Thinking about it now, i did move many bags of concrete before i noticed the vibrations. Is it possible its my rear wheel bearings? How can i tell?

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Rear wheel bearings would tend to be a droning noise when you are driving.. not really a vibration..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts