2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, in bit of a dilemma here... the alarm on my Type-R is faulty! It cannot be disarmed by any of the fobs, but is otherwise operational, i.e. it goes off when I enter the car, open any of the doors/bonnet or ignite the engine.

The local Honda dealer has it for inspection/repair under warranty. Problem is, this so called extended warranty doesn't cover for troubleshooting time, only parts and labour.
They said they have been advised by Honda HQ Tech that the next step will involve some sort of software reboot (i'm paraphrasing what he told me!), that will take 2 - 3 hours, and it will cost me £285 AND it may or may not fix the issue, so it could be more! He also mentioned that they could reprogram the keys, but it isn't sticking? Not sure if he means the car is retaining the pairing with the keys, but I don't have any battery issues with it at all.

Got a second opinion from a local garage that was recommended by a local alarm fitter. From their diagnosis, they pinned it down to the MICU fuse unit? or, under a very remote chance loose wiring!! They quoted me over £500 for a supply and fit

Lesser of two evils now, take it back to Honda and tell them to replace that part under warranty? But I'd guess they'd do their own diagnosis first and still charge me?? Just gets worse!

Was hoping there could be a few relatively easy things I could check myself first? Perhaps a swap out of some of the fuses in the MICU? :confused:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I think this charging for fault diagnosis is disgraceful, they've got us over a barrel and they kwow it. Does the extended warranty specifically say that diagnosis is not covered, because I would regard it as part and parcel of the labour and therefore covered ?

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
get it done by Honda.

Time is never 'free' - however you stand to benefit if anything else goes wrong. Parts and labour can be extremely expensive so count yourself marginally lucky.

PS - I love char siu by the way, especially on crispy noodles and pak choi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called up Honda Head Office and also the original dealer whom I bought the car from, apparently, diagnosis time is never covered and is at the discretion of the individual dealership.

Just can't get over the fact I can't even get Honda to disarm the alarm permanently so I can drive the car around :(

Kimo - I'll take you out for noodles and char siu if you sort out my alarm? :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally fixed! Took it to another dealership for a second (third) opinion as recommended by a helpful guy that authorises the payments at Honda Happiness UK, this dealership couldn't find the fault, but managed to reset the alarm and that was it!! I'm still a bit shocked at the lack of consistency between the Honda engineers, tbh. Still, car is back on the road :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts