2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening people,

Today I spent some time with one of my favourite beasts, a black Ranger Rover Sport.

This 2009 model had been somewhat neglected and I'm sure the owner would confess to that himself :p

Anyhoo, he asked if I could come over and give it some loving...here goes...

Start time: 9.50am

Condition of the car before I touched it

Got a bottle of Orchard Car Care Cotton Candy, applied below

Wheel cleaning tools, including my new wheel woolies (which I was ridiculously impressed by)

Wheels were cleaned with G101, Iron-X and Tardis. Some Iron-X and finished shots below

I used Wax Tec Fall Off V2 and my thoughts compared to Iron-X were that it was a lot slower than Iron-X and I actually gave the wheel I used it on another hit with Iron-X to remove more fall out. Not convinced me to switch product

After a spray down

My favourite Iron-X shot of the day

Tar build up on this car was very bad, there were actually small piles of stones on top of the exhausts

2 Bucket Method hand wash using Britemax Clean Max

Iron-X and Tardis applied to lower half of car

Car was then clayed and pressure washed down again to reveal shocking paintwork

One of the bonuses of this job was that the owner had somewhere for me to work inside. I loved it. Hopefully get something like this someday. So much easier to work not worrying about the weather.

More defect shots

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/Steven_McCulloch/IMG_42981600x1200_zpsf8869205.jpg

Taped up and ready to roll

My weapon of choice; Megs 205 and a Lake Country Finishing Pad. I didn't want to cut in too much obviously. I explained that the swirls would be removed but there would more than likely still be light scratches.

Some after polish shots. I must say, I am now in love with Megs 205!

And for the LSP, Chemical Guys Black Light. IPA wipe down beforehand.

Applied by hand using an MF applicator

Removed and finished shots below

Car moved outside for some poser shots

Reflection shot

Finish Time: 6.30pm

The owner was very happy with the results. I was too but there was a lot more than could have been done to perfect it. Probably about 60% correction here. Smashing finish from CG Black Light though.

Thanks for reading, thoughts/feedback/cc always welcome.

Cheers
DP

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
Excellent results matey, you're doing very well. Megs 205 is a brilliant finishing polish. I can't help thinking that 8hrs work on a car that size is far too quick for the polishing tbh given all the prep work also. Saying that, your results speak for themselves. Well done

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent results matey, you're doing very well. Megs 205 is a brilliant finishing polish. I can't help thinking that 8hrs work on a car that size is far too quick for the polishing tbh given all the prep work also. Saying that, your results speak for themselves. Well done
It didn't feel quick lol as I said in the write-up, it's nowhere near perfect and I didn't want to give it too much cut at all not having a PTG

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
It didn't feel quick lol as I said in the write-up, it's nowhere near perfect and I didn't want to give it too much cut at all not having a PTG
Sorry my bad, missed that bit, anyway top work mate, keep it up.
Btw how was the paint, soft, hard etc

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry my bad, missed that bit, anyway top work mate, keep it up.
Btw how was the paint, soft, hard etc
Cheers man! I owe my detailing bug to yourself and Shauny boy ;)

Pretty soft considering the light work a finishing pad made of the swirls.

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
Cheers man! I owe my detailing bug to yourself and Shauny boy ;)

Pretty soft considering the light work a finishing pad made of the swirls.
Thanks for the comments, must have been nice working undercover etc, wish I could

·
FESTOOLIGAN
4,166 Posts
Nice results and honest write up.

Sometimes there is not enough time to do everything perfect and a finishing polish is enough to bring most of the gloss back. You could spend another half hour to apply a wax/sealant to increase durability.

Reactions: Deadpool

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice job, What model of nikon camera are you using?
It's a Canon 1000D. One of my favourite toys

Nice results and honest write up.

Sometimes there is not enough time to do everything perfect and a finishing polish is enough to bring most of the gloss back. You could spend another half hour to apply a wax/sealant to increase durability.
I really wanted to apply a wax but the owner had places to go and people to see so I'm afraid I didn't have time. He's keen to get me back in so definitely next time :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Great results mate.

I would set aside 2-3 days for a vehicle of that size, but I re-read the thread and noticed you weren't going for full paint correction.

Looking at the condition of the paint, I doubt the owner would have noticed the difference with the addtional time and effort required for full correction.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts