2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Which oil can I use best for my Type R FN2, Castrol Edge 0w30 or 5w30 or isn't there much difference between the two!?

·
I-VTEC everyday ;)
562 Posts
0w-30 is thinner so it would burn quicker, I use 5w-40 gulf competition, check opie oils I bought 5 litres for £30! bargain!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
0w-30 is thinner so it would burn quicker, I use 5w-40 gulf competition, check opie oils I bought 5 litres for £30! bargain!
Is this really good, and how many times do you need to top op!?
Opie oils recommend Gulf comp. 0w30 instead off 5w40.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I allways used 0w30 honda oil on my car, never had a problem.
At first,excuse my poor english.
Some notes to oil for CTR.
For serial engine is satisfy oil recomended by manufacturer, however most of you have tuned engines.
-the most important parameter is piston speed. For example compare piston speed of CTR engine and F1 engine:
CTR engine - 9000 RPM at 86 mm stroke = 25,8 m/s
F1 engine - 19000 RPM at 42 mm stroke = 26,6 m/s
As you see CTR piston speed is very similar to F1 engine.
- next important parameter is oil temperature. Serial CTR engine works at 110 oC, light tuned engine at cca 130 oC and most tuned engine at cca 150 oC at full load.
If we use 0W/30 oil, what happens with oil film in cylinder at this very high piston speed? What happens with oil film at 130 oC or 150 oC? I think this is a big problem for oil 0W/30. Oil film is breaked and at high temperature oil start to burn and this affect to most cylinders and piston rings wear or rings coking.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At first,excuse my poor english.
Some notes to oil for CTR.
For serial engine is satisfy oil recomended by manufacturer, however most of you have tuned engines.
-the most important parameter is piston speed. For example compare piston speed of CTR engine and F1 engine:
CTR engine - 9000 RPM at 86 mm stroke = 25,8 m/s
F1 engine - 19000 RPM at 42 mm stroke = 26,6 m/s
As you see CTR piston speed is very similar to F1 engine.
- next important parameter is oil temperature. Serial CTR engine works at 110 oC, light tuned engine at cca 130 oC and most tuned engine at cca 150 oC at full load.
If we use 0W/30 oil, what happens with oil film in cylinder at this very high piston speed? What happens with oil film at 130 oC or 150 oC? I think this is a big problem for oil 0W/30. Oil film is breaked and at high temperature oil start to burn and this affect to most cylinders and piston rings wear or rings coking.
What would you recommend then!?

·
Registered
97 Posts
As far as I understand it XXw60 will hold better than XXw40 once heated.
Yet 0wXX lubricates better at low temps and earlier than 10wXX.
As with anything you can't have both at once (or maybe you can but the price rockets up)

I have a stock engine, do a lot of short trips (2 to 4 times 15min a day, yup CTR is my daily commuter), and when I push it, it's on the road. Using 5w40 I had noise (probably near oil pump) when cold, especially during winter. I went with 0w40 on a service and noise vanished. The car burns almost no oil when on lower RPMs but is quite thirsty if I kick in VTEC. Nothing worrying, but I guess 10w-anything would be a sure kill for my engine a few years down the road.

bajun, what do you think of that analysis?

·
Registered
78 Posts
recomended SAE viscosity classes and outdoor temperature
0W up to -35 oC
5W up to -30 oC
10W up to -25 oC
I use Castrol 10W60 a few years and the engine is OK, any noise or clunk. Sometime our winter temperature is -15 oC. I have Hondata Reflash ECU, rew limiter is 8600 rpm and I love drive at high rpm.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the data and feedback :)

We have -10°C quite regularly on winters around here, and CTR slept outside at a friends house when it was -25°C at night! While my HID washers went frozen (I had 'only' -20°C liquid in), it was almost the only car outside able to start in the morning, and did so brilliantly!

As for the year I had 5W40, maybe it was bad oil (I don't know what the dealer put in during service except it was full-synth). My girlfriend uses 10W40 in her Suzuki Swift Sport (1.6L 125hp, 7400rpm) and has no issues.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts