2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my 2017 1.0 se is approaching its 75,000 mile service. I bought the car with the 5 year service plan included, so servicing hasn't cost me anything so far.
I know the cam belt is replaced on the 75k service, so I knew it would be a bit more than a normal service.
Dealer has quoted me £1800!
Surely this isn't right. Has anyone else had this done and how much did you pay?

·
Super Moderator
3,651 Posts
I believe the cam belt change in itself is £1100 - it's belt in oil not cam chain so a big £££ dismantling job.

one good reason to buy the 1.5T which is chain driven

·
Registered
883 Posts
Bet that's something the dealer doesn't tell you about when you buy the car off them! That's a ridiculous amount of money, if it was me I would sell the car before its due

·
i-Vtec
4,667 Posts
Who ever thought submerging a rubber belt in oil was a good idea!!!!!!!! Oh aye, Ford too🙄

·
Super Moderator
3,651 Posts
Bet that's something the dealer doesn't tell you about when you buy the car off them! That's a ridiculous amount of money, if it was me I would sell the car before its due
Audi A4 needs bumper off plus loads of other dismantling to do this job too.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The belt in oil modern designs are utterly insane but that's cost cutting for you.

Bad how Honda have stooped to that level too.

What happens when it disintegrates and bits scatter inside the engine?!

·
Super Moderator
3,651 Posts
The belt in oil modern designs are utterly insane but that's cost cutting for you.

Bad how Honda have stooped to that level too.

What happens when it disintegrates and bits scatter inside the engine?!
that's exactly was has been happening to some of the 1.0L civics - in normal running belts have been rubbing on something and shaving bots off.
The debris gets into the oil filter and turbo and lunches the engine & turbo - big warranty claims for the unfortunate owners.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Modern small capacity turbo engines have enough issues without a melting rubber belt inside the engine.

Extended service intervals raises the risk of various pipes and other bits of the engine getting completely fouled with sludge, especially when some modern $tealers simply suck the oil out the dipstick funnel and change the filter instead of a proper drain.

Plus they're all highly strung and are strangled to meet emissions.

I doubt Honda or any manufacturer cares as by the time the belt needs doing or has fallen to pieces the car will be out of the initial finance deal and warranty thereby not being their problem anymore.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just phoned up to book my service and asked about this, 8 years or 75K, mine will be gone before I reach that ;)
I asked about the cost but they would quote a price as its no where due that for mine (40K and less than 6K a year atm)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I believe the cam belt change in itself is £1100 - it's belt in oil not cam chain so a big £££ dismantling job.

one good reason to buy the 1.5T which is chain driven
EXACTLY why I didn't even consider the 1.0 petrol engine - belts - snap easily, chains do not.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
EXACTLY why I didn't even consider the 1.0 petrol engine - belts - snap easily, chains do not.
Belts are fine, arguably better than chains if they are replaced on time. As when a chain goes wrong it's big money. I can certainly hear an argument for taking a high mileage belt car over a chain one as the belt is either broken or working, whereas a chain isn't easily replaced.

Although a well designed chain with regular oil changes will cost less than a belt car over a car's life.

However the current trend of having belts within the internals of an engine and mixing it up with all the oil and high temperatures simply has to be a stupid idea, as changing it will never be an easy job and it will certainly not last as long as a chain. So it's the worst of the chain and belt system with none of the benefits of either.

·
Registered
883 Posts
There are no intervals for replacing a chain, belt changes are expensive and if they snap can result in a major engine rebuild, not really heard of any chains going only needing tightening up. I much prefer chain over belt

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Belts don't snap if changed within the intervals and if a half decent one is used in the change.

Likewise chain issues with the tensioners or chain itself with lead to major work also although maybe not engine ending like a beltless engine clash!

The main issue is cost for belts but they're arguably more reliable if changed as any chain issues aren't easily corrected.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts