2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine has a slapping piston. At some point it will get worse and require a new engine. I could get another car but apart from the engine, the rest of the car is in damn good condition. I am thinking of just sticking another lump in it instead............ depaending on the price that is.
Does anyone know how much they cost these days?

MP

·
Registered
93 Posts
No idea of the cost of a short engine, but how do you know that it has piston slap Mr Punch? Can you hear it when cold ,or all the time? What mileage has it done? I know it doesn't usually sound good, but engines can still go on for a long time with this before it becomes terminal. Unless it is clanking badly all the time, I wouldn't worry too much just yet.;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea of the cost of a short engine, but how do you know that it has piston slap Mr Punch? Can you hear it when cold ,or all the time? What mileage has it done? I know it doesn't usually sound good, but engines can still go on for a long time with this before it becomes terminal. Unless it is clanking badly all the time, I wouldn't worry too much just yet.;)
The car has done shy if a 130k. The tapping goes away once the cars up to running temp which is usually about 10 - 15mins. I have looked at the Honda Jazz website and it seems to be an issue with the higher milage engines. I'm doing about 350 miles a week at the moment and is using half a litre of oil per 8k. I know that's nowt to panic about but I'm going to start up an engine death fund just in case. That tapping is bloody annoying though. I rarely go above 4000rpm so there's life in the old girl yet but best to be prepared eh?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.