2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my friends

I'm about to buy a Honda Civic and I can't decide between the 1.4 i-DSi Sport and the 1.8 i-VTEC Sport.
I'm not crazy about speed, but I want a decent engine and I read a few posts from users that said the 1.4 is very underpowered.

On the other hand, what concerns me about the 1.8 is the supposed low fuel economy, althought the dealer said it could have lower fuel
consumption than the 1.4. Is it possible?

I'll be test driving both, but would be really grateful to hear your thoughts.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Hi & welcome to the forum.

If you want speed then go for the 1.8, its gonna be quicker. I've got a 1.4 and while its not mega slow its not a fast car by any stretch of the imagination.

Having said that, I'm more than happy with it.

Don't forget to check the Wiki section and ask any questions you like!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I have had the 1.8 for 2.5 years now and find it quick and economical, I keep a spreadsheet of fuel and mileage and the worst and best figures I have achieved on a tank are 36.5mpg and 43mpg. So I'm averaging about 40mpg which is the same as what I was getting out of my 1.2 Seat Ibiza I had before.

Saying that, I have no experience of the 1.4 but would imagine that it might struggle a bit sometimes and the pricing of the 1.8 made it a lot more attractive.

One last thing be wary if people quote the mpg off the trip computer, I find it is about 10% optimistic.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I've done about 1000 km's with my 1.4 block now. i live in pretty rural area's, with nearly no hills and stuff. When i took it to the ardennes, i notice a bit more than average increase of the fuelconsumption.

So my advice, if you're not keen on speed and live in a region where you don't have to take your car uphill all the time, take the 1.4, low fuelconsumption, low taxes, low insurance.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
1.4= plastics covers where those triangular exhaust tailpipes/trims should be. Easy choice then, the 1.8 it is!

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
1.4= plastics covers where those triangular exhaust tailpipes/trims should be. Easy choice then, the 1.8 it is!
spend 200€'s extra and you'll also have them

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
In the UK the 1.4SE doesn't come with alloy wheels, alloy pedals or chrome exhaust trims so for me it was much better value for money to go for the 1.8.

Also I still like to look in the mirror on a cold morning and see the blast of vapour coming from the twin exhausts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im loving the 1.8, 400 miles from a full tank of petrol can't be bad eh?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh, you'll have me driving like Mother Theresa if your going to start throwing down challenges.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts