2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 1.4 2011 plate s type pleased with the car but lately felt its not responding to throttle after 2nd gear very sluggish to respond is there any thing i need to check gets abit embarrasing when smaller cars wizz past:(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dont have much experience with the 1.4 as i have an older 2.0, if the engine has started acting differently then it might be something small like a sensor and would be best to get it on the diagnostics to see if there are any fault codes.

i would presume that it would be hard to diagnose over the internet unless there was some kind of symptom that stands out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I h
got a 1.4 2011 plate s type pleased with the car but lately felt its not responding to throttle after 2nd gear very sluggish to respond is there any thing i need to check gets abit embarrasing when smaller cars wizz past:(
I have just got a honda civic type s 1.4 2011 am having same problem very sluggish

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
It's because they forgot to bore out the rest of the cylinder. :p

Check you've not got a lot in the boot (I'm dead serious) - It is very noticable with the smaller engine.

Is the sluggishness something that has just arisen after driving around with the car for a long while? I'm sure if you've come from something with a better power to weight ratio you'd be feeling it:- Other than that, make sure you're using the rev range - Peak power is right at the top :)

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,239 Posts
I h

I have just got a honda civic type s 1.4 2011 am having same problem very sluggish
I'm not too sure what kind of performance you were expecting from a car that size with a 1.4 Engine? Just because it has an S on the back doesn't mean it's going to get up to Warp Factor 10 in 4.1 seconds. It's a 1.4, it's going to be sluggish. I had 1.4 Cars for years and the acceleration didn't exactly snap Nicker Elastic on the opposite Sex while accelerating like an EVO 8 would 🤣

·
Super Moderator
3,471 Posts
but lately felt its not responding to throttle after 2nd gear very sluggish to respond
This implies to me that it was OK but now isn't. This really has nothing at all to do with the absolute size of the engine in the car, but more to do with possible drop off of performance of that engine is it not?
But see Post #8.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Try using BP Ultimate of Shell V Power fuel for a few fill ups and see if that helps.
The extra octane rating may give a bit more urge and the additives will clean out the fuel system.

When was the last time you changed the air filter, that might be clogged?

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Maybe try some forte petrol injectors cleaner I've found it actually works well (it's not snake oil) like some of them if you only run the car on supermarket petrol you should notice a difference on pickup good luck I hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try using BP Ultimate of Shell V Power fuel for a few fill ups and see if that helps.
The extra octane rating may give a bit more urge and the additives will clean out the fuel system.

When was the last time you changed the air filter, that might be clogged?
I will have a look at filter thanks and try some.of the fuel cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe try some forte petrol injectors cleaner I've found it actually works well (it's not snake oil) like some of them if you only run the car on supermarket petrol you should notice a difference on pickup good luck I hope you get it sorted
Thanks I will try this cheers

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
You will have to put several tanks through it to clean the system.
A big hit with specific cleaner first is worth a try, then the expensive fuel to keep it clean.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts