was out on bike today and called in to local dealer for a look
spotted a 1.5 jazz sport in black demonstrator
nice little car
has anyone drove 1
don't think its the car for me but big improvement on the old jazz

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
The new 1.5 sounded good to me so when mine was being serviced I had a poke round one in the showroom.

Sadly the only model available is low spec so no climate control, no privacy glass and missing a host of other nice features.

I did post at the time that if they did a 1.5 EX I'd have another look.

Since then though Ford have announced that they are phasing out their problematic Getrag Powershift (probably due to forthcoming class actions in the US and Australia and possibly Canada) and replacing it with a proper torque converter so the Fiesta TitaniumX is now top of my downsizing list.
Also because their SatNav is high up on the dash, where it should be, and gets far better reviews than the Honda Connect.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
I have one today as a courtesy car while the CRV has a couple of niggles sorted out.
It's actually a nice little drive. Not sure about the comfort of the seats though, only did a 10min drive and couldn't get comfy in them...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
What I have problems getting my head around is why Honda call Civics and Jazzs 'Sport'. What's that all about? You would expect a 'Sport' version of a car to have more power/different suspension etc. that a non 'Sport' version.
Is the Jazz 1500 engine turbo?

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Is the Jazz 1500 engine turbo?
Doesn't look like it, Has an 11.5 Compression ratio which seems a bit high for a turbo, but more importantly, Is listed as iVTEC as opposed to the 10G Civic 1.5's VTEC Turbo.

Interestingly, they have the same CC, but the Jazz is listed as having 0.1mm shorter stroke!

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Don't think it has a turbo somehow.. not from the pull of the car... Will pop the bonnet (hood) and have a lil sniff under there see what there is.....

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Doesn't look like it, Has an 11.5 Compression ratio which seems a bit high for a turbo, but more importantly, Is listed as iVTEC as opposed to the 10G Civic 1.5's VTEC Turbo.

Interestingly, they have the same CC, but the Jazz is listed as having 0.1mm shorter stroke!
Might have worked it wrong, suggest jazz is 1496.888 to 3 nearest decimal places, the civic 1.674 more to 3 nearest decimal places. Bizarre, if only because of the 2 engines' differing strokes- must be 2 different blocks ?

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Might have worked it wrong, suggest jazz is 1496.888 to 3 nearest decimal places, the civic 1.674 more to 3 nearest decimal places. Bizarre, if only because of the 2 engines' differing strokes- must be 2 different blocks ?
That was my thought, seems strange to have a second block for such a tiny change, unless they are just swapping a different piston / conrod instead.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
That was my thought, seems strange to have a second block for such a tiny change, unless they are just swapping a different piston / conrod instead.

yes, seems a better possibility (different crank/piston assy with less 'swing'/stroke)

could the different strokes result in different compression ratios, neccessary dependant whether turbo'd or not (all a bit too tech for me!)

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
should stick the three pot in the Jazz.

I see Ford are designing a three pot 1.5.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had one as a courtesy car whilst the Civic was being MOT’d last week.
Really impressed, responsive engine, 43mpg average and so much easier to live with than the civic for me as getting in and out is a doddle just like the previous Jazz’s.
It did feel quicker than my Civic and pulled up a steep hill near me without me knocking it down to 3rd like I have to in my car so it’s definately got some torque unlike the 1.3.
Handling wise it’s sure footed, hardly any body roll and fantastic brakes.
0-60 feels quicker than the specs suggest and the engine sounds good under heavy throttle and begs to be revved hard although it’s no hot hatch by any means they certainly aren’t a slow car.
All in all they are better than you’d think although the interior build quality doesn’t have the chunky more solid feel of the Civic and the touch screen is fiddly at first but we got used to it pretty quick.
Look great too especially in white, our courtesy car was grey and looked ok but a bit bland.
I’m seriously thinking about trading mine in, already had a quote and various deals offered.
Time will tell.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
If they decide to produce a 1.5 EX then I'll give the Jazz another look. The sport is too basic for me.

As it is, my next downsizing exercise is looking like a Fiesta TitaniumX which now has a proper torque converter auto, eye level infotainment centre, all round independent suspension and privacy glass.

It'll be a few years yet though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Must admit Honda could have give it more toys.
Xenon lights, rear bench arm rest, front and rear park cameras, rear tints for example...
The model I had didn’t have navi, that’s a £600 extra however I’d use my Garmin or google maps anyway.
It’s a pity they didn’t give it more but that might be reserved for an EX model which will probably come out.
New Swift Sport is also on my list but it has a turbo and I don’t like turbo’s.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Why do they call the 1.5 turbo a 1.5 vtec Turbo when it doesn't have vtec?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
If they decide to produce a 1.5 EX then I'll give the Jazz another look. The sport is too basic for me.
As it is, my next downsizing exercise is looking like a Fiesta TitaniumX which now has a proper torque converter auto, eye level infotainment centre, all round independent suspension and privacy glass.
It'll be a few years yet though.
An auto will make it easier if ever coming in or out of your garage on that rare occasion.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Why do they call the 1.5 turbo a 1.5 vtec Turbo when it doesn't have vtec?

The Vtec turbo has variable exhaust cams to reduce turbo lag, can't remember if it's lift or timing, but there is vtec on the exhaust cam

1 - 20 of 21 Posts