2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morning all,

I’ve recently brought a 2018 civic 1.6 diesel and over the past few weeks I’ve noticed on a few occasions that i loose power or what feels like you have lifted your foot off the throttle for a slit second. Then the power comes back in again. I originally thought maybe my foot slipped of the throttle.. however, this morning i started the car and the idle was hunting up and down. Wondered if they could be linked through a throttle position sensor or something similar?

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks Kindly

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Can I ask what fuel do you usually top up with?
I had this issue once when I drove my Ford Focus st diesel. Remember filling it up with some cheaper fuel and you could feel this sluggish pickup but power would be on then feel like it dropped and come back in. Literally ran the tank down and used some of this...

Empty the tank, pour this in...then top up with a premium fuel like shell or shell v power...usually a bottle of this requires 45 litres of fuel...

this stuff is brilliant and gets all the rubbish out the system. Might be you just need to clean the system. It might work it might not but worth a go for £20 and then a fuel tank of fuel...have a look at the reviews and see what you think...i have recommended this to all my mates who drive diesels and they swear by it. Especially ones who have had a dpf light appear and then this has sorted it..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I ask what fuel do you usually top up with?
I had this issue once when I drove my Ford Focus st diesel. Remember filling it up with some cheaper fuel and you could feel this sluggish pickup but power would be on then feel like it dropped and come back in. Literally ran the tank down and used some of this...

Empty the tank, pour this in...then top up with a premium fuel like shell or shell v power...usually a bottle of this requires 45 litres of fuel...

this stuff is brilliant and gets all the rubbish out the system. Might be you just need to clean the system. It might work it might not but worth a go for £20 and then a fuel tank of fuel...have a look at the reviews and see what you think...i have recommended this to all my mates who drive diesels and they swear by it. Especially ones who have had a dpf light appear and then this has sorted it..
I normally top up with cheap fuel, so it’s worth a shot. I’ll get the cleaner and fill up with shell to see what happens. Thanks kindly for your response... speak soon

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,449 Posts
Not sure what fuel type you use will have any relevance. I had the 2007 2.2 8G and ran it only on Supermarket fuel and never had any issue during the 157K I achieved with it. I now have 2015 1.6 9G and have just passed the 100K point and (Touch Wood) have never had issue, again, always using Supermarket fuel. The only thing I noticed about premium fuels is that they empty your wallet quicker. Occasionally when Tesco or Asda have RedEx on offer at £2 I'll get a bottle and add that in once every few fills.

I htink if you have a dig about you'll see the neck has been wrung out of Supermarket v Premium.

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts
If you are putting Redex or similar in to cheap fuels then that is effectively the same as the "super" fuels' detergent additives anyway.
Your way most likely works out cheaper.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,449 Posts
I only use it occasionally, not more than once a month... If I don't see it on offer I don't buy.

Reactions: Wilmo

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used a tank of BP ultimate and to be fair it was much better. However, i think my issues maybe more related to the Regen system kicking in and out. Now i’ve spent more time with it I’ve noticed the regen cycles etc...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use Millers ecomax as a fuel additive. Add 1ml per litre of diesel each time you fill up. Costs about £80 for 5L.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Not sure what fuel type you use will have any relevance. I had the 2007 2.2 8G and ran it only on Supermarket fuel and never had any issue during the 157K I achieved with it. I now have 2015 1.6 9G and have just passed the 100K point and (Touch Wood) have never had issue, again, always using Supermarket fuel. The only thing I noticed about premium fuels is that they empty your wallet quicker. Occasionally when Tesco or Asda have RedEx on offer at £2 I'll get a bottle and add that in once every few fills.

I htink if you have a dig about you'll see the neck has been wrung out of Supermarket v Premium.
Supermarket fuel all the way with me too. 195k on my 2.2, no issues.

·
4,773 Posts
I have owned 2x 2.2 Accords before I git the Civic three years ago. In both of them I tried the expensive diesel and found that it made absolutely no difference in consumption (full to full) and absolutely no discernible difference to performance. The only difference was the speed with which it emptied my wallet and that was really noticeable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Understanding the supermarket Vs premium debate, I’m sure my issue is due to the DPF regen system. I tried some BP ultimate and it definitely soothed out the regen surges no doubt. I went back to supermarket fuel and it’s a lot worse on that fuel, no doubt about that. However I’m certain that if the dpf was well maintained and did plenty of miles it either fuel wouldn’t make a difference. I’m half expecting the blocked DPF light to come on lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Take the car for a 45 minutes continues travel with 2.500 to 3000 rpms. IF the problem is related to clocked dpf it will clear the problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Take the car for a 45 minutes continues travel with 2.500 to 3000 rpms. IF the problem is related to clocked dpf it will clear the problem.
Yes, i did this today and it felt much better, i even noticed a change in the exhaust note, slightly deeper in sound. However, drove for a further 30 minutes in traffic to have the surging return around the 1600 - 2000 rpm again in the 30 to 50 mph range. I notice the MPG drops for 30 seconds then back up again during the surges. It’s like the car is always regenerating lol.

·
Registered
76 Posts
maybe the car has start and stop regeneration too many times, in this case you have to make a long trip fro about 2 hours, so as the regeneration to be completed

·
Registered
51 Posts
I always find a difference when using Shell V-power against supermarket's diesel - the engine becomes quieter, smoother, and the DPF regenerates kinda better (something I can't explain). It costs approximately £4 to 6 more for a full tank, compared to the cheap fuel which I don't mind if it keeps my fuel system clean. Do not expect better fuel economy from the V-power diesel, though. Car is 63 reg 1.6 diesel and 128k on the clock, without any issues so far. Planning to keep it for another 50k miles

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update, i’ve given the car an oil and filter change today using mobile1 ESP. Wow, what a difference i’ve no idea what rubbish oil the second hand car dealer used but I’m convinced it was the wrong oil. The cars gone from 50mpg and doing regens all the time to 65mpg and it’s mich smoother. Maybe my issue was to do with the oil used by the second hand car dealer?

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,460 Posts
Any update?
Has the problem resurfaced or did the oil change cure it.
Which fuel did you stick with, supermarket sweep or premium diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any update?
Has the problem resurfaced or did the oil change cure it.
Which fuel did you stick with, supermarket sweep or premium diesel.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, funny how time changes the mind.

I’ve now moved to 0w-30 Mobile 1 ESP and stick with regular diesel from BP or Shell. I notice a difference against Super market standard fuel but not enough to pay for the V power ect.

However, the surging idle has gone since the warmer weather and using the car more regularly. Which could be a result of a cleaner DPF, Fully charged battery and warmer conditions.

Firstly, I’d now split them into 2 separate issues. 1: Rought idle on cold start 2: Passive Regen Cycle on 10G with 6250 service intervals.

Over time the rough idle was linked more to a low battery voltage level and cold starts with all the accessories hunting the engine than related to what oil or diesel i was using.

Secondly, I believe my car carries out multiple passive regens (Heating the engine temp) in short succession with the latest variant of software to prevent honda requiring the ADBLUE systems in the 10. Thus, i feel a short surge in 6th gear when the MPG drops down slightly then after 10 seconds everything goes back to normal. At the time i though I had an issue with the car, now its just normal when it happens on a run. The oil and BP or Shell premium fuel does reduce the feel of this process but i felt it wasn’t worth the extra £ when the car is looking after the DPF with the latest software. My passive regens are around the 500KM range.

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts