2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be confusion even on Hondas side about how often to service the 1.6 diesel. I bought my 2019 Auto with 5k miles on it, and the service book had its PDI stamp, with the note that variable servicing wasn't active on the car and to follow the servicing schedule shown on the page, which was the normal 1 year/12.5k , 2 years 24k and so on.

So now I'm at nearly 10k and decide to book in for my first service a bit early, the first shock was the price £260 for what is basically an oil change and a few checks, and then I was told it should have had an oil change at 6k as well, the dealer even saying that the service book was wrong. The service book was filled in by the supplying Honda dealer.

I'm a bit disappointed to find I've now missed a service and hope that Hondas mistake doesn't invalidate my warranty, and also disappointed that my 'modern' diesel has the service intervals of a Ferrari V12!

Anyone know the reason why this engine has to have twice the servicing of every other diesel I've owned? It seems a bit odd to me

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
It's to keep the Honda franchises afloat with business due to the low volumes of cars they shift.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
i-Vtec
3,071 Posts
Heres another link that shows year one service cost is £235. Which is, as you stated just an oil and filter change. Bare in mind you can take your car anywhere and as long as its serviced as pre Hondas guidelines the warranty is continued.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Hi Golden Wonder,

I have the 1.6 I-DTEC and it’s standard servicing of 6,250 / 12,500.

the service plan if 5 years allows for up to 10 services, obviously if you haven’t got a plan, it’s roughly £100 for the interim service and then as you’ve found around £230-£260 for the full (it’s possible they have included a air con bong and engine flush in the cost, it isn’t a service item but they always like to add it if they can).

all the civics have a similar schedule for service, from the 1ltr, 1.5t and 1.6 I-dtec.

even the people with the variable system are only finding around 6,000 to 8,000 per service.

As for the reasons, one is possibly the turbo as you should ensure regular servicing to ensure it operates smoothly.

then there is emissions, the 1.6 conforms to the latest emissions standards and also doesn’t use ad-blu.

as for any other reason, we’ll who knows, I’d rather have a well serviced and looked after car than one left for 20,000 per service, but it seems that isn’t an option with this civic.

it seems I’ll be visiting every 6 Months, so just one extra visit a year.

hope this helps.

cheers
Darren

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, even then it’s a few different answers, even from Honda dealers! I’ll get this service done and see if I still have the car in another 6000 Miles.

It seems odd that even different Honda dealers have different views on this, and 6000 miles for a diesel could be 2-3 months for some people which seems very low!

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,411 Posts

Clearly shows every 6250 miles for diesels from 2018. I would imagine this may be due to the alterations they made to idtec engine regarding emissions or to help keep the DPF cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well its just had its first service, obviously I'd missed the 6k one as my service book and the honda website told me otherwise! Dealer had just confirmed its every 6k for diesels, which seems like a backwards step, that's 3-4 months driving for me, and with Honda dropping the diesel auto I'm now not inclined to keep the car as long as I thought I would

Isn't the 1.6 iDtec in the 9th Gen civic exactly the same as the 10G? The specifications suggest its the exact same model so why is the extra oil change just on the 2018- models, surely it would apply to the the previous gen as the engine hasn't been changed. Very odd, and does make you think its simply a money maker, as this must be the only diesel on the market with service requirements this short!

·
Registered
876 Posts
The 9G and 10G Diesel engines are very different in terms of there emission controls. The 10G engine was the first engine to need testing under WLTP and RDE and it is this requirement and the reduced NOx levels of the latest Euro 6d emissions that requires increased DPF regeneration and thus the levels of oil diluted between oil changes. Thus the need for the 6250mile oil changes.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,411 Posts
I wonder if this is somehow connected to the recent Mk9 recall for a software upgrade. Telling car to regen more often?
Thanks for bringing car in for software update now you need to change oil every 6250 miles! Maybe not that but increased regen?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
They got you over a barrel while it's still under warranty, but after that if it was me I would just have the oil changed every 12 months or 12.5k miles

·
Registered
716 Posts
10 oil changes to do 62.5k miles is ridiculous, makes the diesel expensive to run, you would be better off with a petrol!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is anyone else aware that the new 1.6 diesel engine needs an oil refresh every 6 months? It's not in any literature I can find and even the service manager admitted it's as clear as mustard!

The service books say every 12.5 miles (or 12 months) but you need to ignore that and go by what the computer says. If it wasn't on a 5 year service plan I would be livid!

Honda!? what the heck are you selling these days?!
I started a thread about this some time back. Between Honda and the dealers no one knows whats happening tbh!? After a spat with the Dealer over whether it did or didn't (the car said yes!!) I called Honda to be told a software glitch means the system calls for 6250 miles (oil refesh)?!?!? and it's wrong, should be 12000 miles

Long story short, the car was serviced!

skip forward 6250 miles and the car needs another "refresh" so have the fun of booking it back in again...somewhere else!

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Hi,

most stright forward for me, the automatic oil monitor is turned off and I just pop along every 6,250 for either an oil change or full service as part of the service plan.

The service book does allow for the interim services, just in a different section to the full services.

it unfortunate that it’s not as clear as it should be and the message is inconsistent throughout the dealer network.

it’s the same with all the new civics from 1, 1.5 to 1.6, they all have interim service required which even on the automated monitoring system basically requires the car to be serviced every 6,250 (average) or exactly if the automatic system isn’t on.

try vertu Honda at Grantham, they seem to operate the plan as it should be.

kindest Regards
Darren

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m gutted!! I’m about to downsize from a 320d MSport bmw and was heart set on a civic diesel auto, however doing 25k a year, a £300 odd service every 3 months due to the 6250 mile service intervals has completely put me off!! I’ll not even be going to test drive one now.... gutted, 6k oil changes is archaic 😡

·
Registered
716 Posts
If you have the service plan then it's not really a problem or if you don't you can always use a local garage for a oil and filter change prob around £80-90.
You said you was downsizing from a 320d is that engine or car size wise as the 10g Civic is quite a long car what about a 118d if you don't like the 1.6d service intervals

1 - 17 of 17 Posts