2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of very positive reviews of the new ED engine and the even better handling. Hope this will rocket up sales and there will'be money for the more enthusiast versions.

And one more thing: I have just read a comparison in a German car mag (Auto-Motor und Sport) where the Civic came in third after Golf and Focus, overtaking the Astra, i30 and the Pug 308. The critics were about poor driving dynamics and uncomfy seats :confused:

First drive: Honda Civic 1.6 iDTEC - BBC Top Gear

2013 Honda Civic 1.6 i-DTEC review - What Car?

Honda Civic 1.6 i-DTEC - First Drive - Road Tests - Motoring - The Independent

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,263 Posts
I don't care what the journo's think I find the Golf very over rated.

£ for £ it has very little kit, the dash is boring and I think they're looking a bit dated now.

All it has going for it is a decent suspension setup.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I don't care what the journo's think I find the Golf very over rated.

£ for £ it has very little kit, the dash is boring and I think they're looking a bit dated now.

All it has going for it is a decent suspension setup.
I'm with you with the golf.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I'm with you with the golf.
I still think part of the problem is that Honda appear to have taken their eyes off the ball when it comes to innovation compared to some other manufacturers.

In the rear light thread I pointed out how many of the rivals were now using LED lights with visually interesting designs.

The same is also true of the headlights.

Whilst Honda still has separate straight DRL's, others have moved on once more. The 2013 golf cabrio eg:

Note the inbuilt DRL that circle around the sidelights entirely - they go back up the centre of the two lights to produce a ribbon of light.

I've already seen a non cabriolet GTI with integrated Landrover swirl style drl built in. Whether that was standard or not, I don't know, but it appears these are in the 2013 golf.

Again Honda are left playing catchup.

Honda are always going to struggle to claim no:1 in my opinion if they are behind in styling innovation. Having a nice overall shape alone isn't enough when many customers and journalists seemingly judge cars on the latest detailing innovation.

I agree about the golf, boring to me also, although I have to admit VW quality is very good, at least on the Tiguan which I drove. Not a single rattle or problem anywhere on the car or trim within 3 weeks of driving. I wish I never heard a sqeak for 3 weeks on the Civic.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
On the 9G hatch, the rear brake light cluster and strip are LED.

On the latest US Accord sedan, there is the option of LED headlamps on high end variants.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,263 Posts
I'll bet that if any of that VW headlight fails the whole expensive module has to be changed. At least having separate DRL's it's cheaper to replace just the offending bit.

Bottom line for me though is that I like/demand a nice fully loaded dash, they can do what they like outside (to a point) as I don't see that bit most of the time. They can put the DRL's where they like.

To get a VW fully loaded dash to match the higher Civic specs you need to add a whole host of 'options' that you don't get back at p/x time.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I still think part of the problem is that Honda appear to have taken their eyes off the ball when it comes to innovation compared to some other manufacturers.

In the rear light thread I pointed out how many of the rivals were now using LED lights with visually interesting designs.

The same is also true of the headlights.

Whilst Honda still has separate straight DRL's, others have moved on once more. The 2013 golf cabrio eg:

Note the inbuilt DRL that circle around the sidelights entirely - they go back up the centre of the two lights to produce a ribbon of light.

I've already seen a non cabriolet GTI with integrated Landrover swirl style drl built in. Whether that was standard or not, I don't know, but it appears these are in the 2013 golf.

Again Honda are left playing catchup.

Honda are always going to struggle to claim no:1 in my opinion if they are behind in styling innovation. Having a nice overall shape alone isn't enough when many customers and journalists seemingly judge cars on the latest detailing innovation.

I agree about the golf, boring to me also, although I have to admit VW quality is very good, at least on the Tiguan which I drove. Not a single rattle or problem anywhere on the car or trim within 3 weeks of driving. I wish I never heard a sqeak for 3 weeks on the Civic.
There is more to innovation than where you stick your DRLs.

Honda never have been at the absolute cutting edge on all the fancy gadgety stuff anyway. I think they tend to take their time of making sure it is all tested before sticking it in cars.

My Civic doesn't rattle.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I'll bet that if any of that VW headlight fails the whole expensive module has to be changed. At least having separate DRL's it's cheaper to replace just the offending bit.
I agree on that. I hope they're plug in led modules rather than inbuilt otherwsie could be an £500+ (?) bulb change?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts