2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own my 63reg 1.6 diesel Civic since mid of March and done 9k miles(no problems so far) averaging 70mpg according to the computer- real consumption is actually 67.3 mpg on the petrol station which still is amazing!!! Car is 81k and 5years old now and I would say it is a great one.
Recently I decided to start using Shell V power and after the second tank I can see an improvement- engine less noisy, 72.3 real mpg and running smoother....I am just really impressed how economical this car is
How are you doing guys?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pretty much the same car for age and owned since January - same mpg unless I try very hard on the motorway. It is quite impressive.

·
Registered
368 Posts
73-74mpg (3.8-3.9 L/100km), pump calculation. Ours is at ~14k miles. There was a definite increase in economy after the first 10k. We're using BP ultimate diesel (known here as aral ultimate). Glad to know these numbers hold up as the car piles on the miles. It's a sweet engine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Strange. My 64 reg 1.6 dtec's trip computer is way off. It's usually a 5-10 MPG variance between the Trip and pump-pump calculations.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ours consistently is off by 0.2l/100km. That's a 4mpg overestimate by the trip computer. Has done so since day 1.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same with me. However car is very good on fuel- my best was 3.9L per 100km for a full tank. Drove just over 1080km and the computer was showing I can do another 13km. Went to the station and the tank fit only 43L which means there was still 7L in the tank - theoretically I could do over 1200km with one full tank of 50L.
Amazing

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,406 Posts
I find on general day to day running the trip computer promises that which the real time pump calculation cannot deliver, its always over what I really get. On motorway cruises doing some distance it settles down to being within a few mpg out and in one case under estimated. My average from new is 64.28 overall, mixed conditions at 61.37 and highway hauls 69.55. This years holiday jaunt over 1004 miles gave me 71.12 average and that included quite a few miles pottering around country lanes that were not flat. She was full of luggage to the point that the floor between the rear seats wasn't visible so lord knows what I've got with a empty car. And remember this year was lets say nicely warm to the point the A/C got put to good use. And I still consider engine to be loosening itself up.

·
Wizard
84 Posts
How do you guys manage this MPG ;D

Even with Eco on and gentle acceleration, behind lorries on the motorway, I can only get it up to 60 - 62 mpg.
Normally I average 480 / 40L - The best I ever got out is 540 / 40L.
The car is 2 year old (16 plate), i-dtec, serviced according to the book.
My drive is 17.5 miles one way, out of which 12 miles is through the M5.
Another drive in the day is 10 miles, which is through A roads / 70 limit, numerous traffic lights.

Even on a longer drive from Luton, which was 110 miles, ECO mode on, economic driving, not exceeding 70 - from a full tank, managed to get it up to 65 somehow. This trip was 95% nonstop driving at 60 - 70 behinds lorries. (Just this trip)

Is there something wrong the car?

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
In my wifes Civic we would regularly get over 65mpg on a good run. Our record was 108mpg indicated. Calculated to be around 99mpg on fill up. This was achieved doing a constant 50 mph up the M6. (though the never ending road works)

A few things to check:
- Check you tyre pressures and ensure they are correct.
- Is the ac on, that always lowers the mpg?
- The eco button doesn't actually make it more efficient. It lowers throttle response and backs off the ac to aid mpg but you still have to do the work, as it were
- Double check the oil viscosity. Just because Honda service it doesn't always mean its correct.
- Weight. Is your boot full?
- Whats the efficiency rating of the types? The more grip they provide the higher the rolling resistance and the lower the mpg.
- Sitting behind lorries doesn't always improve mpg. For it to make any kind of difference you should really be going over 70 and closer than could be deemed safe. its better just to have a constant speed on a public road.

·
Wizard
84 Posts
In my wifes Civic we would regularly get over 65mpg on a good run.

A few things to check:
- Check you tyre pressures and ensure they are correct.
- Is the ac on, that always lowers the mpg?
- The eco button doesn't actually make it more efficient. It lowers throttle response and backs off the ac to aid mpg but you still have to do the work, as it were
- Double check the oil viscosity. Just because Honda service it doesn't always mean its correct.
- Weight. Is your boot full?
Tyre pressures - check them every 2 weeks, 35psi front, 33psi rear.
AC - It's on all the time
Eco button - Okay :(
Oil - I believe it states 0w30 on the invoice from Honda - will double check after work
Weight - Just a space-saver tyre in the boot and me in the drivers seat ;D
EDIT - Tyres: I use Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons G2 205/55 R16 94V XL - Efficiency displayed as C.
- Okay, what I meant is I drop the speed down and just keep behind them - not in a hurry most of the time hehe. They keep a constant speed most of the time.

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I see hours dip into the 60's when we're on the autobahn for long distances. Speed is a major factor. My wife's 55km commute is mostly very early morning, so traffic free and mix of low speed (50-70kph/30-45mph) for about 1/2 an hour and somewhat high speed (100-120kph/62-75mph) for the other 1/2. I also taught her all the cues for speed limit changes (I know the route well :nerd:), so she knows when to drop the cruise control and avoid having to use the brakes. Also, she isn't very adventurous when it comes to acceleration. Tyres are all seasons on ours, Fulda multicontrol, and also a C rating for fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone first post so please be gentle. Currently at 43k miles in my 2015 Civic Sport 1.6 I-Dtec and I regularly get mid to high 60's MPG. Going off tack slightly, has anyone managed to get a successful remap done on a similar car to mine? I'm finding plenty of places quoting but have heard horror stories about the ECU being "bricked" resulting in a new ECU.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi everyone first post so please be gentle. Currently at 43k miles in my 2015 Civic Sport 1.6 I-Dtec and I regularly get mid to high 60's MPG. Going off tack slightly, has anyone managed to get a successful remap done on a similar car to mine? I'm finding plenty of places quoting but have heard horror stories about the ECU being "bricked" resulting in a new ECU.
read this and buy it!

https://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission-9g/362882-1-6dtec-bluespark-tuning-box.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi
2016 1.6D-tec manuel 13k miles
1547m mainly motorway at 70mph 25.67 gallon = 60mpg on a mixture of branded standard diesel . Trip computer reading 65mpg driving in eco mode.
Just filled up with Esso Synergy Supreme+ premium diesel.
Will see what we get.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,406 Posts
Hi

2016 1.6D-tec manuel 13k miles

1547m mainly motorway at 70mph 25.67 gallon = 60mpg on a mixture of branded standard diesel . Trip computer reading 65mpg driving in eco mode.

Just filled up with Esso Synergy Supreme+ premium diesel.

Will see what we get.

I only use BP ultimate diesel myself. If your hoping to see if average MPG goes up with Esso premium diesel make sure you allow 2-3 full tanks used up before starting to compare giving fuel time to clean any gunk out if any exists. Plus don't forget diesels like a good rev up to help keep injectors clean. I do this once I've joined a motorway as long as road clear ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts