2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
I bought a gearbox drain / fill washer set from Cox, two washers so id think definitely should be one for each plug even if it left the factory with only sealant on the fill plug

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,306 Posts
To be honest, I did mine and can't remember mine having a washer at all.... I have the 1.6 2015 Facelift so must be slightly different to older 1.6?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have changed mine twice already, and i removed all the plastic panel from underneath, and by removing that you'll be able to see the drain plug on the side, first time i changed the oil i didn't have the proper key for the fill plug, so i put back in whatever came out, second time tho, i had the fill plug removed and i have poured in just a bit over 2L of oil but still not looking like it was overfilling!! i didn't have more oil so i just left it like that with 2.1L ! if its overfilled can that cause any damage? and if that plug on the side is not the fill plug?? why is there for?
Too many why's...
anyway if any of you guys find anything please let me know
thanks

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,306 Posts
There's no need to remove the full plastic cover. All you need to do is remove the Aluminium Inspection Cover. You can then carve up an empty 2ltr juice bottle to catch the oil coming out. Please note, it is only meant to take 1.9ltr of oil so try not to overfill, If you've put in 2.0ltr, that won't do any damage.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had a mechanic friend change my gearbox oil on his ramp last week

He reckoned it was much easier to just take the plastic cover off as well as the metal inspection cover then you get unfettered access to everything

Obviously on a ramp everything is so much easier but he said it was only a couple of minutes to remove it.

I also got him to change the fuel filter which as anyone with a 1.6 diesel knows is a right pita - on a ramp with the covers removed he said it wasn't too bad and didn't even remove the bracket around the oil filter

He is a pro though, I am a rank amateur by comparison :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a mechanic friend change my gearbox oil on his ramp last week

He reckoned it was much easier to just take the plastic cover off as well as the metal inspection cover then you get unfettered access to everything

Obviously on a ramp everything is so much easier but he said it was only a couple of minutes to remove it.

I also got him to change the fuel filter which as anyone with a 1.6 diesel knows is a right pita - on a ramp with the covers removed he said it wasn't too bad and didn't even remove the bracket around the oil filter

He is a pro though, I am a rank amateur by comparison :cool:
I was wondering if he removed the plug on the side?

·
Registered
305 Posts
No, he just said it was easier to get to the drain plug and have the oil drain straight out

As it was on a ramp and has all the tools I can imagine that for him it took only a minute or two to remove the shield

21 - 27 of 27 Posts