2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I know there's been few posts about remap but not exactly what i needed to know. So few questions to those members who has one done:
1. How long you had it for?
2. Any issues related to map in long term?
3. Who did a map?
4. Was it worth it/ would you do it again?

And lastly, had a good qoute from quantum remaps (mobile remap) local dealer but it has mixed reviews online. Anyone heard off them? I know celtic remaps more favourable on this forum but someone had some bad expierence with them as well...

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Mine has a Celtic map, done by Celtic themselves (chap came to my office and did it the car park in 20 minutes)

1. How long you had it for?
a year, so somewhere around 15k miles - much lower than my usual mileage due to 5 months of working from home (Covid)

2. Any issues related to map in long term?
None

3. Who did a map?
Celtic’s own guy applied their map

4. Was it worth it/ would you do it again?
Yes. I know buzzlite didn’t get good results with his experience but I suspect there is some other issue there (IIRC his map was done through a reseller/agent).

I’ve said before I think it’s well worth doing. Doesn’t feel as strong as the claimed figures suggest based on “seat-of-the-pants” dyno but def much improved over the stock car. Well worth the money. Fuel economy same or better I’d say.

quantum remaps - sorry never heard of them. Bluespark comes up often on these forums so that might be worth checking out.

·
Super Moderator
2,498 Posts
For me
My personal view is if your going full remap get it done on a dyno
That way your getting proper remap for your car
All the ones that turn up and flash your ecu
Or do it by return post are generic maps and maybe be good but not dedicated to your car

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for replying. Would like map done on dyno but takes half day and costs more than mobile one's. Plus not many places has dyno on short drive around me. Bluespark is something been looking at aswell but again not sure off long term issues?
Scaramanga, do you still using box? Any concerns, engine running issues?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
rob.e & scaramanga - was your insurance affected by the map? - increased premiums? I keep toying with getting my Land Rover done!

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
rob.e & scaramanga - was your insurance affected by the map? - increased premiums? I keep toying with getting my Land Rover done!
yes but nothing significant. i spoke to (my insurer) direct line before i did mine so i knew they would be ok with it before i went ahead. my premium has actually gone down this yr, although wife has 3 more points and the car has suspension mods and a re map, i'm doing less miles so overall i'm paying about 90 quid less than last year. I'm over 50 now though so maybe that makes it cheaper..

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go near the guys that rock up on your drive and map your car, I learned by experience they are mostly none qualified guys mapping by generic files. If you don't have your car on the dyno, you have no idea what they have done to your car, just have a look at the attached picture, you can see the dyno printout for my car showing the 'on the drive map' and then the real custom map done on the dyno. With mapping you really do get what you pay for, £150 on the drive map and take your chances with it or £280 for a full custom map done on the dyno with proof of what they have done to your car. Save a bit more money and get it done right.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go near the guys that rock up on your drive and map your car, I learned by experience they are mostly none qualified guys mapping by generic files. If you don't have your car on the dyno, you have no idea what they have done to your car, just have a look at the attached picture, you can see the dyno printout for my car showing the 'on the drive map' and then the real custom map done on the dyno. With mapping you really do get what you pay for, £150 on the drive map and take your chances with it or £280 for a full custom map done on the dyno with proof of what they have done to your car. Save a bit more money and get it done right.

View attachment 315107
£280 for a 7 hp increase? am i reading this right?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
£280 for a 7 hp increase? am i reading this right?
The previous ****** tune was at 174, but look at the power curve, the turbo spools up and then looses boost badly from 2000 to 2500 rpm, causing a massive dead spot in the acceleration. It felt like the car had lost the turbo. But the dyno tune is a solid curve all the way through, making a massive difference to the power delivery. The BHP figures are only 10bhp difference, but the torque is over 40nmts more and this is the figure that counts not the BHP.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The previous ** tune was at 174, but look at the power curve, the turbo spools up and then looses boost badly from 2000 to 2500 rpm, causing a massive dead spot in the acceleration. It felt like the car had lost the turbo. But the dyno tune is a solid curve all the way through, making a massive difference to the power delivery. The BHP figures are only 10bhp difference, but the torque is over 40nmts more and this is the figure that counts not the BHP.
ah ok thanks for clearing this up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts