2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hoping someone can help.

My 1.7 ctdi civic is losing power but theres no warning light and my local (non honda) mechanic can't find a fault on his diagnostics. A loss of power occured last year and it was my turbo (I had a turbo boost sensor fitted if i remember correctly??). Apparently this model is notorious for turbo problems, so much so there was an extended warranty placed on it by honda, but unfortunately my warranty had just run out by 3 months.

Now my dillema is: the 1 year warranty for the part that was fitted last year is due to expire in 3 weeks but as no fault can be found on diagnostics i'm reluctant to pay honda £75 to tell me this. Plus from my description of the problem, my mechanic isn't convinced it is the turbo (since the problem is happening not only when i try and accelerate to speed on the mway but also when i go to pull away at a set of traffic lights) although he can't rule it out. He's taken it and driven it for a few days with no problem but the problem flares up with weeks of working fine in between. I just hate to think that the warning light may come on in a few weeks when the warranty expires and it is the turbo and i have to fork out another £400 + :sad:.

When i had the turbo sensor fitted last year honda put an advisory on the car saying the crankshaft pulley was perished and would need replaced (within 4 months). I didn't do this as a couple of local mechanics who previously worked with dealerships basically said this was just another way of honda squeezing more cash. Now i'm thinking that if the crankshaft IS perished this would be affecting the sensor and causing loss of power as i've seen another post mentioning this???

AAArgh, i've only had this car 15 months and i'm scared to drive my baby around in it incase i have an accident. I really want to get rid of it because i'm convinced it's something major and can't afford another big bill but hubby wants to persevere with it and wait till the Eng Management light comes on incase it's only a small job. I'm scared i might have an accident before that happens. Do you have any advice or know anyone on here who may be able to help?

Thanks in advance for any help / advice.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Hi, Youve had the turbo boost sensor replaced??? The common fault on those diesels is coke build up on the turbo blades! So wether your foot is down or not the engine is still struggling to turn that blade, Its always turning even at idle.

There is probably 2 options that will help:

1. you could buy some diesel cleaning treatment and see if that helps.

2. remove the turbo from the car and get the coke removed from the blades and have the turbo reconditioned.

Obviously the 2nd option would be the best, but would cost more obviously. But not saying that some diesel addative wouldnt fix the problem :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts