2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.8 petrol 8th Gen....is it easy to change the coolant ? What is the recommended service interval?

Someone please tell me there is a nice convenient screw out drain point or similar !

What antifreeze/coolant is recommended?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
151 Posts
1.8 petrol 8th Gen....is it easy to change the coolant ? What is the recommended service interval?

Someone please tell me there is a nice convenient screw out drain point or similar !

Thanks all.
Keeping an eye on this as I'm looking to do a flush and change on mine soon as well.

As far as recommended coolant goes I've been told to only put this in: https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-type-2-coolant-5-litre-pre-mixed/?gclid=CjwKCAiA15vTBRAHEiwA7Snfc46YEXQZFt80DMebR2-dIfiEbn5Ow2lJuUE49cCHSXc2q-2mY9p97RoCmW8QAvD_BwE

In terms of the replacement process, I haven't dug into the haynes manual yet to find out so can't help there. Sorry!

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts

Thanks all.
Theres a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator, youll need to remove the under tray to get to it.

5L of honda ready mix coolant is under £25 from dealers and only use that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all, yes just noticed my newly acquired haynes manual points toward the convenient radiotr drain plug :)

·
Registered
48 Posts

Thanks all.
Just checked the service manual, and it states for petrol cars every 120k miles or 10 years (whichever is sooner), then every 60k / 5 years from then on. For diesel cars, it's 62.5k / 5 years, then every 37.5k / 3 years.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I know it's an old thread but it was the .osf recent one I could see

I am planning on doing the coolant change and the manual refers to the drain plug on the rad

It also mentions a bleed screw on the block that needs closing once the bubbling stops when refilling and another drain ug on the back of the engine

Do I need to use these or will the STD bleeding process via the heater matrix suffice

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I would like to know the bleeding technique as well please

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did a partial flush on my 1.8 whilst changing the gearbox oil the other week, only via the radiator drain plug (not the block so can't comment on that).

- Waited until the engine was cold.
- Detached the entire undertray (not just the engine oil drain hatch).
- Unscrew the radiator drain plug, catch the dropped coolant somehow (I just used a bucket).
- Once finished draining, screw the drain plug back in and fill with distilled water.
- I then ran the engine for a couple of minutes to circulate things a bit, switched it off before it was showing any signs of serious temperature.
- Went and had a cup of tea, then took the dog for a walk to let the engine cool again.
- Drain again. Once empty, re attached drain plug and fill again but this time with Honda type 2 coolant until coming out of the radiator cap.
- Run the engine with the rad cap off until up to temp, this should get rid of most of the air pockets. it gurgled about three times in my experience doing this. Reattach the radiator top cap.
- Took the car for a run, watching the temperature gauge like a hawk. All solid, no issues (your mileage may vary, make sure to stop if anything looks amiss).
- I topped up the expansion tank too as that level dropped a bit after two runs. Its now rock solid though and hasn't moved for about three weeks.

That's how I did mine, I was planning to do several flushes / the block as well but what came out was so clean and debris free that I didn't bother.

I used a whole carton of type 2 coolant BTW so if you're attempting a block drain as well I'd have a spare on standby just in case (I'm not sure of the capacities).

Cheers

Sent from my Z1 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts