2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am running a2007 FK2 1.8 petroland the fuel economy is awful.

Although the display shows 35 to 40 MPG, the reality at the pump is around 25 to 28 MPG. :facepalm:

Driving-wise I take it very smoothly and do the school run.

So, any ideas on what I can do?

Can these cars be re-mapped to get them more efficient? I have gone on to "http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/" but they appear to only do diesels.

Thanks in advance, Jeremy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Last (major) service was about a month ago. I also had the air conditioning compressor and condenser replaced.
My next point of call is to clean the air sensor in the intake.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi, what oil did they use...I've found out that 0W-30 (castrol edge) makes the engine run smoother than 5W-30, check also the airfilter, tyre pressure etc...that can make a huge difference...what mileage did your car? change sparkplugs ;)
my civic 1.8 runs about 1:16 km :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They used castrol magnatec 5w30. The air filter has been changed and the tyre pressures are checked weekly. No extra weight in the car as the boot is empty. The kind of mileage I am doing is around seven miles a day through town.
I have ordered a set of spark plugs which are £££££:eek:.
When you say "my civic 1.8 runs about 1:16 km" I didn't understand what you meant. How many km or miles do you get to the gallon or litre?

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I think your problem could be down to town driving. A lot of stop / start traffic will knock the fuel economy down. I do at least 50 miles a day for work (25 miles each way) and this involves, town, country roads and dual carriageway. Computer usually shows 40 to 44 mpg but in truth, by calculation at fill up this tends to be 36 to 40 mpg.

·
Banned
7,705 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Last (major) service was about a month ago. I also had the air conditioning compressor and condenser replaced.
My next point of call is to clean the air sensor in the intake.
The economy on the 1.8 isn't the best but the figures you are achieving are low. There can be quite a few factors, driving style, weather conditions, etc.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
First things first OP, lets check you really are getting that MPG. The computer does over read on the 1.8 but not by that much.

Brim the car, reset the Miles/MPG. Drive it till light on and then refill to brim again. Post up the litres to fill it and mileage and we can check the calculation.

Could be something silly like US Gallons vs UK Gallons.

As a comparison my FN2 did 24.5mpg last tank. That's £54 of petrol at 1.26 per litre giving 231 miles. UK MPG 24.5, US MPG 20.4

·
Registered
179 Posts
I realise the fuel computer isnt spot on but my FN2 regularly indicates 46-48mpg. I just did my first oil change on it as i have had it a year now and i used Castrol Edge 0-30 and an oem filter and took it for a 90 mile round trip and saw the fuel computer at 50.1 mpg when i got home. Having said that i play the economy lights like an arcade game and im a very laid back driver. I thought the word on the street was Edge 0-30 and never magnatec in these engines?

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,062 Posts
First things first OP, lets check you really are getting that MPG. The computer does over read on the 1.8 but not by that much.

Brim the car, reset the Miles/MPG. Drive it till light on and then refill to brim again. Post up the litres to fill it and mileage and we can check the calculation.

Could be something silly like US Gallons vs UK Gallons.

As a comparison my FN2 did 24.5mpg last tank. That's £54 of petrol at 1.26 per litre giving 231 miles. UK MPG 24.5, US MPG 20.4
I agree, it is inaccurate but not by that much. Brim to brim (or till it clicks) is the best way.

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
I have a 1.8 8th gen and I do a fair amount of city driving.
I get the fuel economy you see to the left.

A binding brake pad can cause issues, bad fuel, winter, type of tires, ect.

·
Registered
206 Posts
hi, what oil did they use...I've found out that 0W-30 (castrol edge) makes the engine run smoother than 5W-30, check also the airfilter, tyre pressure etc...that can make a huge difference...what mileage did your car? change sparkplugs ;)
my civic 1.8 runs about 1:16 km :D
1 liter to 16 kms = 6.2 lt/100 kms = 45.6 mpg (imperial)

that's my last tanks real average too :D
but I do to many short trips (4-5 miles) so to achieve this number I have to make a super eco driving.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I have same car 2007 FK2 km stand 120k. My average trip km per day is 30km, and fuel I get 7l\100km. One time I had long trip 500km mainly motorway, and my km was 5,3l\100km. Thats not bad but only on straight road :)

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
My display says 27mpg
Not arsed ;)
Enjoyed every gallon

·
Registered
179 Posts
I dont understand this. I think the FN2 is very sensitive to driving style and other parameter but my GF has an auto Merc SLK 200 which has a blower on the inlet and can better these figures easily.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I dont understand this. I think the FN2 is very sensitive to driving style and other parameter but my GF has an auto Merc SLK 200 which has a blower on the inlet and can better these figures easily.

Most people don't realise but turbos actually make an engine more efficient, as they recycle the energy from the exhaust. You can use this gain for efficiency or performance depending on how the car is setup.

·
Registered
206 Posts
turbo uses the remains from the engine (exhaust) to compress the air to the intake, so it's efficient...

in the case of the merc slk200 it uses a Kompressor, which will give a more progressive performance without lag, but it's always running using a belt connected with the engine, so much more less efficient cause the engine has to pull the belt that spin the kompressor...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts