2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My first post!

I'm due to purchase a Honda Civic 2007-2008 model.
I'm looking for a 1.8 petrol engine, but I'm confused with the mpg.

I drive normal and am coming from a seat Leon 1.9 diesel. Although I can appreciate it won't be as good on fuel, I really want the Honda experience.

Any advice would be brilliant

Thanks

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
There are other threads on MPG but I think it would be helpful if there was a thread for each engine and car model. Anyhow the MPG will depend on how long your journeys are as well as how economically you drive.

From what I've seen the best you can hope for as an average would be high 40s. But more likely it will be high 30s.

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
The Wiki has an entry for fuel consumption per engine but it could do with some 9th gen updates ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I only fueled up my Tourer twice since I bought it and I achieved:

- 36 mpg when doing 50% of highway, 40% of regular roads and 10% city driving
- 40 mpg when doing 75% regular roads, 20% highway and 5% city driving

This means that my average is the same as sprintmointor's - 38 mpg. :) So this is I believe the most representative value of fuel consumption for 1.8 engine in mixed driving conditions.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
With a combination of something like 65/35 for motorways and around towns I'm on 38-40mpg I do have a slightly heavy foot though!

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
38-40 MPG for me too also with a heavy right foot, mainly shortish town and dual carriageway work. If I try to be economical during long motorway journeys I can get well into the high 40's

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,462 Posts
2011 1.8. Averaged 39.97 mpg from new after 44000 miles. Worst 30 mpg at first fill up new engine, best 52 mpg tailgating truck slipstream on long flat cruise at 60.

Sent whilst plotting to take over the world.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've only had my 1.8 petrol for a couple of weeks, initially I was getting about 40mpg, but last week it managed 43 and this week looks like nearer 44, so I think my driving must be improving. My commute is mostly B roads/lanes with quite a few stop/starts, this is with Eco switched on, although I don't always use the automatic stop/start.
From previous cars I generally find cars to be slightly more efficient in the summer than in the winter.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
179 Posts
1.8 petrol..on trip computer regularly registers between 43 and 48mpg. Im a very conservative driver . Just fitted a new air filter which improved things marginally again..

·
Registered
204 Posts
The strange thing about their results are, we have both a 8G and 9G Civic which are both 1.8 petrol's, but driving the same routes with both I find the 8G manages better MPG than the 9G, which isn't really what they see in their averages.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I drive 100 miles a week, 20 a day i fill up every two weeks a full tank, my computer shows avg 37-38mpg 40 +if was doing motorway. My work run is 30mph, 40s and a dual carrigeway 50 mph so the mpg is good love the power and mog mix.

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
All depends on how you drive the 1.8 petrol... one of my pals drives one and he gets less MPG than I get in my FN2...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts