2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I recently installed a new head unit and active sub and I believe this may be the cause of my flat battery which is less than a year old. I have left the engine running whilst listening to music etc so did not think this was an issue. However after trying to start up my car, once having left it alone for a couple of days it won't start.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future? I've heard of people installing a 'cap'? Are there any other solutions.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
A cap wont fix your issue if your issue is what i think it is

Your installation is wrong.
You most likely you made something like the amp or sub draw constant power rather than have it draw when the car is running.

Did you install the headunit or was it done professionaly.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Sounds reasonable.
Your amp should have 3 connections for power, earth, permanent 12V and switched 12v.

The switched is normally run from the auto aerial feed from the head unit and all it does it turn on the amp when the car is powered up, if this is bridged from the permanent feed or isn't a switched 12 v it will leave your amp powered on 24/7

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A cap wont fix your issue if your issue is what i think it is

Your installation is wrong.
You most likely you made something like the amp or sub draw constant power rather than have it draw when the car is running.

Did you install the headunit or was it done professionaly.
Sounds reasonable.
Your amp should have 3 connections for power, earth, permanent 12V and switched 12v.

The switched is normally run from the auto aerial feed from the head unit and all it does it turn on the amp when the car is powered up, if this is bridged from the permanent feed or isn't a switched 12 v it will leave your amp powered on 24/7
I installed it myself. My amp wire connects to the head unit remote wire. I made sure 100% the wiring was done correctly. The amp is not on when the car is off as well as the head unit. Both switch on when the car is running.

Since I jump started it and left it running for a bit it's been perfectly fine. I'm starting to think perhaps I left the battery on without the engine running at that point without realising :/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts