2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
et on mine was 45. it was 215/55/16 rims. It was written in the back side of the alloy wheel. if you have 235/45/17 then et is 50. In general +-5 et is acceptable and causes no problems

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You for information. Rim calculator says to 17 inch rim -5 mm scrub radius compared the two different tires above. So it is wholly acceptable.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
if you are planning to change wheel size you might have to take it to the dealers to change the computer settings via HDS as the car will think its still on its original size and might confuse the TMPS and VSA. The dealer has to programme the car to say it is using a different wheel size.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good point. I checked the manual and it only says that you have to use the same size tires as original and reset TPMS every time you change tyres. I think that 16, 17 and 18 inch tires have almost same diameter, so here is no big difference. I think that you can change tires 16 to 17 and 18 if they are 215 or 235 mentioned in manual and just do that resetting TPMS. ET should be the same and not big difference in scrub radius acceptable.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You will face zero problems. I did change from 215/55/16 et 45 to 235/45/15 et 45 instead of et 50 ( i wanted to push wheel 5mm outer as to gain performance and it works great. No dash lights too.

Good point. I checked the manual and it only says that you have to use the same size tires as original and reset TPMS every time you change tyres. I think that 16, 17 and 18 inch tires have almost same diameter, so here is no big difference. I think that you can change tires 16 to 17 and 18 if they are 215 or 235 mentioned in manual and just do that resetting TPMS. ET should be the same and not big difference in scrub radius acceptable.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I have some Honda 18's to go on in the summer, in the box that each wheel came in were instructions from Honda regarding this, also included was a log book that the dealer should also fill in when adjusting the car via HDS for the TPMS. This prompted me to do a little research and some people have had the TPMS light up several times as they have changed to the next size up but have probably not been aware of this and not had the dealer programme the system, so I thought I would post up just to share the info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Honda 10G civic has not HDS so only TPMS reset needed (fortunately :).

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Will see what happens when I put them on in a few months when winter has passed, plan to put Honda recommended tyre size on 235/40/18

1 - 9 of 9 Posts