2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

100 miles less per tank fill

2K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  Ray_S 
#1 ·
Hi, first post ever so advanced apologies if I forget anything.

Civic 1.8 sport petrol 2006 manual
Mileage 111k
Back in October 2020, was hearing a rattling noise when in certain gears, garage said gearbox had gone and needed reconditioning/replacing.
Had this done and at the same time, new clutch and had flywheel skimmed.
Got it back and car was great, getting nearly 440 miles per tank.
Now, all of a sudden, lucky if I get 300 miles per tank.
To be fair, when on motorway, I can achieve 400 miles but as soon as I'm doing town driving, it drinks like a 4ltr car.
Also noticed mpg drops and when filling up, sometimes full range is 400+ miles and sometimes 350 ish miles range.

Car is well looked after with yearly oil, oil filter, and spark plug changes.
Oil used is Castrol Edge FST Engine Oil - 0W-30.
I do have a K&N filter but had that for a few years now.

Exhaust has got a rumbling to it and does sound like it may be going but garage said nothing wrong with it.

Any feedback appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you notice and clutch slip around town or accelerating?

Fuel filter ever been replaced?

K&N panel or cone and are you cleaning it?

They are not very effective filters to be honest, you might have contamination on your mass airflow sensor and throttle body. You can try cleaning your MAF with MAF cleaner and throttle body with carb cleaner and using a standard filter if you have the standard airbox.

#3 ·
Never experienced the clutch slip before or after gearbox/clutch replacement.
I was told told fuel filter is in fuel tank and a non replaceable part.
K&N panel to replace stock filter in standard airbox.
I do clean it yearly but bought a new one recently.
Not sure how to clean MAF, I do regularly add fuel cleaner to a full tank.

#5 ·
cobblers on the fuel filter, they just don't want the hassle and/or don't have the tool to remove the locking ring - Honda charge £174 inclusive to change it.
the service schedule says replace at 7 years or 87500 miles so yours is well overdue.

I've just done both our cars taking around an hour each and just £50 for the filter from Tegiwa.
Mate's mate made up a tool to deal with it.

#16 ·
no, just a lot of steps but logical in sequence.
need a pair of pliers, cross head screw driver, trim tools, a 12mm socket and handle & an £8 tool like Ray_s.
oh, and a large tub of patience.
if a retired accountant who hasn't played mechanic since his biking days 40 years ago can do it.................

maybe i should start a mobile "change your 8G civic fuel filter" business?

#18 ·
quick google search got me this: "A clogged fuel filter causes low fuel pressure that results in a lean fuel condition and engine misfire. This can result in poor fuel mileage, rough idling and possibly cause the check engine light to come on"

I assume that if the engine thinks it is running lean it will overfuel and start chucking more petrol into the mix leading to worse MPG.
it may not be the sole source of your problem but it sure won't help.

after changing the one in the FN2 i have noticed smoother running and a slight improvement in MPG, only did it 3 weeks ago so won't really know until i have done many more miles.

#19 · (Edited)
Noted, it's well overdue so I shouldn't find excuses and just get on with it... Thanks. Will keep all updated.

PS. Was watching that video on how to replace fuel filter, wife walked pasted and said what the hell, you're gonna kill yourself!!! Best do it when she out for the day...

#20 ·
update the life insurance first.

just wait until the fuel level is well down in the tank (warning light on is best), FFS no naked lights anywhere near & disconnect the earth on the battery before you undo the locking ring and let vapours out.
also as you have to disconnect the hand brake make sure that you are on level ground and find a safe way to chock the wheels (bricks work) & put in in 1st gear so it won't roll.

I watched that video about 5 times before i decided i could tackle it and get what was required into my head.

the biggest hassle is the wiring harness that keeps getting in the way, the rest is just simple logical steps.

#21 ·
So, after cleaning the MAF, I did notice it was a tad smoother but that was it. Bought the filter from Tegiwa and a cap removal tool from Amazon. Watched the video a number of times and took me approx 90 minutes, wasn't as hard as I thought and actually quite enjoyed doing it. Put it all back, (did tripple check everything before closing), test drive and so far, so good. Have noticed it's more smoother and responsive but will have to give it more time to adjust and really notice any difference. Whether this fixes my issues, time will tell.

Thanks Wilmo & Ray_S, your guidance and assistance has been gold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.