2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
So no more NA petrols for the 10G hatch it sounds like. Probably 1L circa 92Kw for base models and the 1.5L circa 130Kw for luxury trims and sport models. The 10G sedan does 0-96kmh (0-60) in 6.8 seconds for the CVT, this is equivalent to around 7.3 seconds 0-100kmh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Don't know why these 2 articles say the 10G hatch will be in Australia at the end of 2016. I suspect Thailand will be another source for 10G hatch. This is where the 9G civic sedan and accord are built for some of the Asia Pacific market.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/391844/honda-to-launch-10-speed-auto-automated-driving-and-more-electrified-drivetrains-by-2020/

http://www.caradvice.com.au/391427/honda-civic-type-r-ruled-out-for-australia-in-current-generation-but-all-new-model-due-in-2017/

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
So no more NA petrols for the 10G hatch it sounds like. Probably 1L circa 92Kw for base models and the 1.5L circa 130Kw for luxury trims and sport models. The 10G sedan does 0-96kmh (0-60) in 6.8 seconds for the CVT, this is equivalent to around 7.3 seconds 0-100kmh.

That sounds quite a performance jump for another 32bhp (174bhp).

Makes me wondering if either they're lightening the car or increasing the gearing as well. When you consider it's only 0.3 secs slower than the FN R which had 203bhp, it seems something other than power has altered unless there's a lot being gained from a more torquey delivery.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Nice to see more power ,let's hope the diesel gets a power boost too.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
A 1.5 turbo Vtec kicking out 150bhp would be nice.

If you look at all these small engines with turbos which have become so popular their 'real life' economy has been waaaay off the 'official' MPG. My mates got a focus ecoboost, gets 40mpg on a run and 28-30 around town. He's also had his DMF replaced twice since buying the car new!

VAG's new 1.4TSI is pretty good economy wise and is lovely to drive. VAG have realised they can't make timing chains to save their lives so the new engine has a belt. My sister has a new golf with the 150 ACT engine. When she came up to see me her dash was showing 54mpg (220 mile journey driving at 70ish). She filled up before she went back and I worked out the actual MPG which was 51. That's impressive for a petrol by anyone's standards.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

Looks like the US version of the 1.5 is a different engine (DOHC without VTEC)

So it appears that the 1.5L turbo engine that will be used in the 10G Euro hatch is the one used in the Jade (with VTEC) and maxxed out in power. If the power output is confirmed then my next car will likely be the 10G hatch. The decision to have a 174hp 1.5L turbo in US and Canada makes sense as they also have an Si which traditionally has more power than the base models. That car would probably use a detuned version of the 2L turbo.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
127 bhp out of a 1.0 turbo be nice too I bet if it's like eco boost from Ford I tried 1.0 eco boost focus and was impressed but like was said before under 30 mpg in town is poor but that is what Ford do well in use fuel like is going out of fashion. Was surprised to see new 1.5 diesel doing high 50s combined nice up from low 40s.

·
Registered
719 Posts
So it appears that the 1.5L turbo engine that will be used in the 10G Euro hatch is the one used in the Jade (with VTEC) and maxxed out in power. If the power output is confirmed then my next car will likely be the 10G hatch. The decision to have a 174hp 1.5L turbo in US and Canada makes sense as they also have an Si which traditionally has more power than the base models. That car would probably use a detuned version of the 2L turbo.
You are wrong. 1.0 turbo has VTEC on the intake side, 1.5 turbo has no VTEC but they will market it as VTEC Turbo.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
127 bhp out of a 1.0 turbo be nice too I bet if it's like eco boost from Ford I tried 1.0 eco boost focus and was impressed but like was said before under 30 mpg in town is poor but that is what Ford do well in use fuel like is going out of fashion. Was surprised to see new 1.5 diesel doing high 50s combined nice up from low 40s.
Let's just hope Honda don't get the DMF wrong like Ford. Massive issue with the ecoboosts

·
Registered
47 Posts
A 1.5 turbo Vtec kicking out 150bhp would be nice.

If you look at all these small engines with turbos which have become so popular their 'real life' economy has been waaaay off the 'official' MPG. My mates got a focus ecoboost, gets 40mpg on a run and 28-30 around town. He's also had his DMF replaced twice since buying the car new!

VAG's new 1.4TSI is pretty good economy wise and is lovely to drive. VAG have realised they can't make timing chains to save their lives so the new engine has a belt. My sister has a new golf with the 150 ACT engine. When she came up to see me her dash was showing 54mpg (220 mile journey driving at 70ish). She filled up before she went back and I worked out the actual MPG which was 51. That's impressive for a petrol by anyone's standards.
I’m quite difficult to impress when it comes to fuel economy, since December 2014 my average is close to 52 mpg. I’ve never fueled the car driven a longer trip in one go and then fueled again, but indications from the board computer after fueling and longer 70 mph trips have been up to over 62 mpg. The best so far between “multi trip” fuelings is 57,3 mpg, I’m not that convinced a small turbo-engine will do much better.

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/676713.html

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I’m quite difficult to impress when it comes to fuel economy, since December 2014 my average is close to 52 mpg. I’ve never fueled the car driven a longer trip in one go and then fueled again, but indications from the board computer after fueling and longer 70 mph trips have been up to over 62 mpg. The best so far between “multi trip” fuelings is 57,3 mpg, I’m not that convinced a small turbo-engine will do much better.

Details: Honda - Civic - 1,8 Comfort Edition - Spritmonitor.de
A small turbo engined petrol will not do better for out and out MPG

On a petrol the maintenance is cheaper and there will be less to go wrong (such as DPF etc..)

If you look as the possible MPG of the 1.5 turbo unit in comparison to the 1.6 then it does indeed make it tempting (especially when you consider the petrol will have a high BHP).

Lets say hypothetically that the Honda 1.5 gives the same economy as VAG's 1.4 TSI.

On a long Journey you're looking at 51mpg compared to 70mpg with the 1.6 IDTEC and around 58mpg with the 2.2 IDTEC On short journeys the petrol should give equivalent mpg to the diesel. Lets say you do 15k miles a year and i'll use the current price at my local Shell petrol station

1.5T VTEC = 1338 litres = £1378
1.6 IDTEC = 975 litres = £1073
2.2 IDTEC = 1177 litres = £1294

Lets say that you keep the car for 5 years. You can pretty much assume a clutch + DMF change in all 3 models (although less likely to fail in the petrol due to less torque) along with a DPF change in the diesels. Clutches/DMFs for petrols seem to be cheaper. Lets assume all the engines have an EGR that is equally reliable

DMF, clutch and DPF for the diesels - £2000
DMF and clutch for the Petrol - £900

So total cost in 5 years would be:

1.5T VTEC = £7790
1.6 IDTEC = £7365
2.2 IDTEC = £8470

The petrol will be lighter - so better handling and more mileage out of tyres
The petrol will heat up quicker - useful in the winter if you want warm air

1 - 20 of 22 Posts