2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Agent Orange
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about or have experience of 12VDC to 240VAC inverters? Anyone know of a make/model that they can recommend?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to be able to recharge my Greenforce scuba torch in between dives.

There's plenty of inverters on ebay, (some very cheap, some quite expensive), but since I have a very limited electrical knowledge, I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Cheers! :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought one for around £20 about three years ago from Maplin. It still works perfectly. I use it mostly for charging my phone, the razor I keep in the phone and a battery charger (NiMH, not car). Much better than having to buy separate car chargers/adaptors.

Mine is 150 watts, but 300 is also pretty cheap. Bigger ones are more expensive. Just make sure you get one rated a bit higher than your charger

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
You should be OK recharging a torch.
I had a problem trying to run a laptop ......the laptop power supply was rated at under 50watts, the dc-dc was rated at 150 watts, so there should have been no problem....
The laptop power supply is switched mode, which means it takes quite a high starting current, which put the dc-dc into shutdown mode, so it didn't work.
I had to get a 300watt dc-dc version and wire it to the battery with a 20A fuse because the cigrarette lighter socket was fused at only 10A.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts