2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys and gals - this morning here up in the North Pennines, it was minus 9.7C with a barometric pressue of 1033mb at 8.00am. Out of curiosity I wondered what kind of power gains this very cold, dense air would give me compared to standard conditions (often quoted when you have a dyno run, typically 20C [293Kelvin] and 1000mb). Using the ideal gas law equation PV = nRT and rearranging to get n (number of oxygen molecules or amount of oxygen per cylinder charge) is proportional to P/T (because V and R are constant) we get:

P/T = 1033/1000 divided by 263.3/293 = 1.149 - ie 14.9% more power than on a summer's day where the temperature is 20C and pressure is 1000mb.

Now, given that my car makes a tad over 260bhp under standard conditions, this equates to roughly 260bhp x 1.149 = 298.8bhp in these very cold conditions. Not bad for a 2L normally aspirated car :D Gotta love that lovely Siberian air :cool:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
OK guys and gals - this morning here up in the North Pennines, it was minus 9.7C with a barometric pressue of 1033mb at 8.00am. Out of curiosity I wondered what kind of power gains this very cold, dense air would give me compared to standard conditions (often quoted when you have a dyno run, typically 20C [293Kelvin] and 1000mb). Using the ideal gas law equation PV = nRT and rearranging to get n (number of oxygen molecules or amount of oxygen per cylinder charge) is proportional to P/T (because V and R are constant) we get:

P/T = 1033/1000 divided by 263.3/293 = 1.149 - ie 14.9% more power than on a summer's day where the temperature is 20C and pressure is 1000mb.

Now, given that my car makes a tad over 260bhp under standard conditions, this equates to roughly 260bhp x 1.149 = 298.8bhp in these very cold conditions. Not bad for a 2L normally aspirated car :D Gotta love that lovely Siberian air :cool:
I think you need to factor in humidity too, like the SAE correction factor.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes, he need that factor for sure...there is also more denser air and much more resistance than in summer. It is little more power, but not much as I understand....anyway for me is better summer in all wievs....higher MPG and less clothes....hehe

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes of course, things like humidity and more resistance to air flow will play a minor role in reducing the amount of power gained in these conditions. However, I'd be very surprised if most people didn't see at least 10-12% more power - soemthing you'd normally pay £thousands for with NA tuning :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.