2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a set of 18 x 8.5 et45 fit straight on without issue or scraping etc on my 2.2 that's currently on eibach springs?

Would I need spacers with these wheels?

·
big dog
1,136 Posts
18x8,5 ET45 would stick out 30mm more than 18x7,5 ET55 (OEM wheels).

You wont need spacers, the tire would be out as much as OEM wheel + 30mm spacer and caliper clearance would be 10mm extra than stock.

I am with stock wheels and 20mm spacers on lowered derv and its not that much fun with + 10mm further out it would be too much for me. If the roads around you are smooth maybe you can get away, but if you hit a pothole with 50mph or speedbump with 30mph you would loose your arches.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I have the same wheel, lowered by 15mm and I don't get any rubbing except if I hit a big bump or hole at slow speed and the tyre slightly scrapes the inner wheel well. Mine is a CTR but I think it would be the same as yours.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe these certain alloys aren't for me then as I don't want any scraping.... Shame as they are a very good price.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
18x8,5 ET45 would stick out 30mm more than 18x7,5 ET55 (OEM wheels).
How sure are you on that?

The ET gives an extra 10mm, but the week is only 25mm wider... so 12.5mm each side of centre.

I would argue the wheel will stick out an extra 2.5mm on the Inside, and an extra 22.5mm outside....

Would that seem correct?

·
big dog
1,136 Posts
Oh you're correct! the whole time i had in mind 7J wide not 7,5J as i wrote. Which would be the difference between 22,5mm and 29mm.

Inside would be fine, my experience shows the outside is a problem when the normal travel of the wheel up and down catches the arches. I used to have 8J ET35 wheels and it was bad, then got back to ET40 7,5J and it was fine, but needed extra 5mm for the brembo clearance and its manageable but not perfect.

Note: i'm speaking about fronts only the rear has bit more room in the innerfenders. there it will be fine.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've just been out and measured 30mm and they woukd stick out beyond the arches at that....

So it would be like having 20mm spacers on plus an extra 2.5mm. Is that right? A lot of people use 20mm spacers from what I've read so they may be good then....

What tyre would i need? Any ideas?

·
big dog
1,136 Posts
If your signature is up to date, youre on Honda OEM 17s right? In that case, the outer edge of the wheel would be 29mm further out. the inner would 9mm further inwards.

The rim itself is 38,4mm wider, but it wont be divided equally because the offset is not the same. the 38,4mm would be split 29,2mm out of the hub and 9,2mm inwards from the hub.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm on 17 OEM

They will be too wide then for my needs.. shame

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts