2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just after peoples opinions on ride quality/performance when they have gone from the standard 18s to rages

On the 18s - Is the ride better? feel a tad more responsive? is there any differences at all???

Keep toying with the idea of going standard as I only ever had the rages

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was the same as you but then great deal on Rages where out couple of months ago and went for them

I did think the ride was not as good but now used to it

just have to think about price for tyres etc as well

also Rages seems to be getting a bit more common as the price came down

which i had got something else instead

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Part of the reason i didnt get the Rages when i bought my car was because i was told the ride on them was very hard. I was coming from an EP3 so was looking forward to the relative comfort of the FN2. But they are supposed to hold the road better on cornering etc.

I have only ever driven a CTR with rages round a track so i couldnt really say if they feel different on the road.
However having seen the comments on this forum about the ride on Rages being not much different i wish i had got them.
Common or not they really suit the FN2.

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
I have driven with both, and was actually on to a swap with a forum member for his Rages plus cash. I'm favouring against the swap in honesty.

The handling feels, imo, better on the 18's and the ride is acceptable - some of the better roads where I live are a joy on the 18's, the same cannot be said when I tackled the same road on the Rages, unfortuantely - because the deal was a pretty good one :sad:

Prefering me 18's :cool: although the Rages are gorgeous.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I just switched over from standard 18's to the 19" rages. You do notice the differencein ride quality, i.e ride feels a bit more bouncy. I do not feel a difference in performance and the car still hugs the corners nicely.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting replies. I love my rages, they look insane!! .. but I like the idea of standard 18s in black and a slightly better handling/comfy car

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I think when I first got the Rages I noticed a slight difference in the ride quality. But lets be honest, we didn't buy our CTR's for the superior ride. In my opinion I have got used to the difference and don't notice it any more.

As for handling differences occasionally I think the 18's would have been better on certain roads but again it's not exactly a big difference.

Rages are becoming common but they just look so good on the CTR.

If the only thing stopping you getting them is the concerns about ride/handling then don't let it stop you.

·
Ageing Petrol Head!
352 Posts
I felt a slight dip in 0 - 60 times first time out but imo the ride quality seems superior on the rages......I kept the standard ones with a plan to have them repainted black when money allows....the rages look and feel awesome.....DO IT :cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts
The 18's with the Bridgestone's seem to hold the road much better than the 19's and Yokohama tyres. I've stopped noticing now, and the rages look :cool: but the cornering grip is not so good.

seconded, wet weather cornering on rages aint as reassuring as the originals:worms:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Smaller wheels = lighter when tires on, faster accelleration, more sidewall giving more cornering grip and easier ride.

Rages = look nicer.

·
Registered
610 Posts
What are the weights of the 2 then?

·
Banned
165 Posts
Not much diff in the ride quality between the 18's and the rages.

The rages perform on the type of tyre that you put onto it.

I have had three types put on now in the 39K that I have done..it eats the front tyres like they are going out of fashion.

Yoko's - not that great of a tyre. Quite soft did grip the road, but not the best from my experience. Didn't last long either.

Michelin Pilot Sports - I did around 18K in them before I found out that they were bold! Good long lasting tyre. Was good around corners, good level of grip. Not the greatest in the wet.

Continental ContiSport Contact 3 - WOW! I love them! For me they have transformed the car. I can push the car much harder out of a corner and the VSA does not come on. I can carry more speed into a corner and have more confidence in the car. No wheel spin in the wet. Which the other two tyres were prone to.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not much diff in the ride quality between the 18's and the rages.

The rages perform on the type of tyre that you put onto it.

I have had three types put on now in the 39K that I have done..it eats the front tyres like they are going out of fashion.

Yoko's - not that great of a tyre. Quite soft did grip the road, but not the best from my experience. Didn't last long either.

Michelin Pilot Sports - I did around 18K in them before I found out that they were bold! Good long lasting tyre. Was good around corners, good level of grip. Not the greatest in the wet.

Continental ContiSport Contact 3 - WOW! I love them! For me they have transformed the car. I can push the car much harder out of a corner and the VSA does not come on. I can carry more speed into a corner and have more confidence in the car. No wheel spin in the wet. Which the other two tyres were prone to.
What is tread life like on the Conti's mate?

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the weight of the standard 18's are so much heavier than the rages.....both with tyres the differences are huge.....................:cool:

I heard/read this also. I'm sure its a kilo a corner

·
Banned
165 Posts
What is tread life like on the Conti's mate?
That I don't know! As I have only done 1K in them so far. I have been told that the max I will get out of them is 13K. As they are softer than the Michelin pilot sports that I had on previously.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts