2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys when buying the type r with 19"rages it crossed my mind whether it would impact performance or not with having a bigger rolling radius and I couldn't find any info on it!

Incase anyone wondered the same see vid attached as you can see the rages actually give a slight edge over stock :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As the difference is less than 0.5% with the correct tyres fitted, assume this is tongue in cheek rather! :D
I didn't realise it was that little difference! What's the profile tyre used on the 18s?

·
#darkside
2,238 Posts
Could be the difference between a tight new engine and a looser older engine rather than wheels.

Your assuming the cars are identical in weight, have the same fuel in and that you and the driver (if your a passenger) also weigh the same as the others in the other car.

a 19" wheel with 225/35 has a rotating distance of 176cm versus the 18" wheel 225/40 has a rotating distance of app 171cm.

In theory this should mean the 18" will actually acelerate quicker but then the alloys also weigh differently so the unsprung mass is then taken into effect.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers :) there was loads of runs done this day and the same result everytime with around half a car length in the lead so there must be some reason for it?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
As Andrew says, lots of factors that could be playing a part - but the alloy size isn't really a contributor when the others are taking into account.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be the difference between a tight new engine and a looser older engine rather than wheels.

Your assuming the cars are identical in weight, have the same fuel in and that you and the driver (if your a passenger) also weigh the same as the others in the other car.

a 19" wheel with 225/35 has a rotating distance of 176cm versus the 18" wheel 225/40 has a rotating distance of app 171cm.

In theory this should mean the 18" will actually acelerate quicker but then the alloys also weigh differently so the unsprung mass is then taken into effect.
Cheers mate both had just been filled up with petrol, both 2007 type rs so even there! but camera car had 1 driver and 1 passenger other car has lightweighted driver only so the result in theory should be the other way round but wasn't

I put it to the wheels but must be something else! other than the gear changes and drivers of course can make a difference

·
#darkside
2,238 Posts
Cheers mate both had just been filled up with petrol, both 2007 type rs so even there! but camera car had 1 driver and 1 passenger other car has lightweighted driver only so the result in theory should be the other way round but wasn't

I put it to the wheels but must be something else! other than the gear changes and drivers of course can make a difference
This is true, A chap I know had a 911 with 6k on the clock. He thrashed it from cold from day one as it wasnt his car. The car in question had porsche test to see if it has been mapped etc as the technician hadnt ever seen a 911 as quick.

So many factors can be at play here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting :) think the opp car will be a little disappointed with these thoughts tho as he's had his over a year and we only picked it up that day lol

He will most likely be along soon to defend himself :worms:

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
As said it could be alot of things, 18's should be quicker at accelerating but then bigger wheels are meant to help towards a better top end but 18's v 19's it would be so minimal, other things could be cleaner air filter, cleaner internals etc etc and some identical cars on dyno have been known to give different readings. You may have been slightly faster towards the end but i bet he was the comfiest :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol we really can't tell the difference in the comfort! Drove down to pick the car up in his car and compared it straight away with very little comfort difference so confused at all the rages harsh ride posts! To be honest I think the type r in general is a little crashy with 18s or 19s but you don't buy this car for comfort it's more for the fun :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol I've noticed the mpg isn't great if your in vtec often :) whilst still being better than the Beemer it's not great but if you take your time it's not bad at all on the juice

Time will tell how much I use the vtec but my gut tells me alot lol

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
I rarely use mine only got a couple of long straights to work and back and im usually following a queue but when nothing is coming the other way :VTECSMILEY: all the way, can take about 9 of them i shouldn't do it but it's fun especially when they think its just an honda and you can see them leaning into the steering wheel and im sat there thinking im only in 3rd mate and got another 2000rpm before i could change again, thats what i love about the car i even turn the stereo off when vtecin for the noise. But at the minute whilst the rds are dry and clean im going the back rds to work very twisty only done this route 3 times in the R and my god it's a totally different driving experience accelerating through the bends without moving is awesome i feel more awake when i get to work.

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
I owned both, there's barely a differnece between them. Rages just look better and cost more for tyres!

... also the only factors playing in that video is the shifting etc of the drivers, and weight of the drivers ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts