2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm trying to understand this.

My derv with about 192 BHP and about 320ft torque against type R 198bhp.

What would win in a racing, if both had same drivers or fathers drives with same capabilities?

I tried to understand torque compared to BHP but not grasping it easily.

I just think of it that torque engines the power doesn't last as long but feels more punchy but power just drops really quik.

Happy for advice

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
In terms of power to weight the diesel is heavier than the Type R, also many Type R's are above 200bhp out of the factory. If you count the Type R as 198bhp it would prob just have the edge IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Diesel will be quicker off the line, due to the shear amount of torque at low revs Type-R will acclerate quicker through the gears when revs are up. Although with these figures I think would be very close. As mentioned Diesel is heavier so of course that will have its disadvantages.

Horsepower is how fast you will hit a wall, Torque is how far you will take the wall. :)

Reactions: nippyone

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Diesel will be quicker off the line, due to the shear amount of torque at low revs Type-R will acclerate quicker through the gears when revs are up. Although with these figures I think would be very close. As mentioned Diesel is heavier so of course that will have its disadvantages.

Horsepower is how fast you will hit a wall, Torque is how far you will take the wall. :)
+1

Which would win would depend on the type and length of race. Short drag race and the diesel would win. Longer drag race or anything with a corner in it and the R would win.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts

thats gd one.

so if all this true... why get a type r when you can have a 2.2 Diesel and still get similar result? unless your diesel is modded?

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
As above really. However, there are some extra areas to take into consideration. I'm guessing when you say a race you are talking about a drag race?

Areas that will play a part in speed:

- BHP
- Torque

Remember that these figures that are usually thrown around will be peak. Which means that reaching these figures could be quicker for some cars than others (i.e. a diesel will reach peak torque far quicker than a petrol but will then need to change gear sooner to get back on the torque curve)

- Weight

As Guitaralmond explained, most diesel cars are heavier because the engines weigh a lot more than petrol ones.

- Suspension

Even in a drag race suspension will play a key part in how well the car gets off the line and keeps on the power. If the suspension is soft and you have a hard start all the weight of the car is being thrown to the back and will lift the front not giving you good traction or a planted feel etc...

- Gearbox

With lots of power you need a good method of getting it to the wheels and the ground. Gear ratios and shift lengths will be different in the Type R making it rev longer and change gear faster keeping you on the power longer.

Think I'm starting to waffle. In a real life situation (a motorway) a diesel would have more grunt over a Type R until a certain point. In a race though (drag or circuit) I don't think the diesel would hold out much :(

·
Registered
365 Posts

I haven't found that to be the case. The diesel has a lot more weight to get off the line. Furthermore, the diesels gearing seems to slow it down initially.

I have found that the diesel really comes into it's own once it gets into 3rd gear.

As a rule, I don't normally engage in "traffic light grand prixs" however, I've found that my diesel normally loses a length or so to a CTR up to about 40 mph but once I hit 70 mph I'm going passed (albeit slowly) the CTR.

My car is 197 bhp and 330 lb ft torque.

Steve

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interesting variation of opinions

Hi Steve where did u get ** map?
would be interesting to see them both go for it from 0- and up =)

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
hmmmm i feel a race coming on lol:popcorn:

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
First gear in the diesel is ridiculously short, I get about 20mph out of it before shifting up. I Think you'd probably edge in front in 2nd & 3rd, but once you get past 80/90mph the type-R would sail off into the distance.

This is if we're talking in a straight line. Add corners into the mix and a stock (suspension-wise) diesel would suffer badly I'm guessing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If they both have the same power, of course it will be close drag as someone just mentioned. The fact that the diesel has more than twice the engine torque is not relevant, the type r will still pull just as hard.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Oh dear; i see where this thread is going :p (again) haha

I'll get my wooden spoon:
From 30mph to 70mph i left an EP3 in a (big & black) cloud of smoke as he VTEC'd his arse off, and i even got a complimentary (and maybe upset) 'nod' at the following set of lights where I stopped messing and let him race off haha
Dont get me wrong, i didn't leave him standing, but pulled a small enough gap to make me feel like a 5 year old at christmas ...
(Was legal! on A roads :) )

Edit: i must add; I reckon he'd have had me if we'd kept going any longer and would have had me off any lights probably, be it driver ability or car, it made my day !

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
slightly off the topic

This all makes interesting debate.

Does anyone know where the fusebox is in the civic 57 plate? And what fuse is it for in car cagiarrete lighter?

Many thanks

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
what about a 1.8 with 156bhp ;) put that into the mix, could be the safety car. 2nd gear does go upto 66mph if that makes any difference.

on a serious note, i think the difference would be the gearing, i drive a 2.2 often and the difference betwen my 1.8 and the 2.2 is the fact i have to change gear more often when im pushing it where as i can leave my 1.8 in 2nd. so i imagine but might be wrong its the same in the type r. so if the 2.2 driver isnt the best at changing gear fast then the type r would pull away rather fast imo.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
what about a 1.8 with 156bhp ;) put that into the mix, could be the safety car. 2nd gear does go upto 66mph if that makes any difference.

on a serious note, i think the difference would be the gearing, i drive a 2.2 often and the difference betwen my 1.8 and the 2.2 is the fact i have to change gear more often when im pushing it where as i can leave my 1.8 in 2nd. so i imagine but might be wrong its the same in the type r. so if the 2.2 driver isnt the best at changing gear fast then the type r would pull away rather fast imo.
Not quite so!
I've had 100mph in 4th, and she was still begging for more ... haha
(OK it was closing on the limiter, but hand on heart true, and it happened very quickly!)
Not sure what 5th can do on the limiter on the 2.2

Since the map i dont feel i have to change gear for more power, infact, the opposite almost!

Reactions: nippyone

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im no expert

However its not what the car gets in the gears its how quik it gets there.
My old puma in 2nd gear would get 70 mph but it just took ages

Reactions: Crerar
1 - 20 of 411 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.