2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Have just bought a 1998 Civic 1.4i SE 4 door and have discovered afterwards it has an oil leak. The private seller didn't include the latest MOT advisory and only after getting home did i see the following on the latest MOT advisory "oil leak"-Dangerous.

The word dangerous has got me worried. I checked beneath the car and there are drops of oil on the ground. On the bottom of what i think is the oil sump, the surface is wet through with what i am guessing is oil (have not got a cloth to check this). The location of what i think is the oil sump when i put my head underneath the car is near the front section and seems to be some sort of black plastic cover.

Please could someone advise me what this could potentially be? What is worrying me is that the MOT garage have put the word dangerous by oil leak. This has got me thinking why did the previous owner not resolve this if it was not a simple job. I have researched into oil leaks using google but cannot find anything specific to my 1998 Civic 1.4i SE 4 door.

What could be causing this oil leak and where could it be coming from?

I thank you in advance for any help you can provide and apologies for my naivety.

Thank you.

Jogi

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I'm going to assume not to start with...

On the bottom of what i think is the oil sump, the surface is wet through with what i am guessing is oil (have not got a cloth to check this). The location of what i think is the oil sump when i put my head underneath the car is near the front section and seems to be some sort of black plastic cover

There is a plastic cover underneath the engine which will need to be removed to be able to see the sump. Are you at all able to reach under and confirm if the "wet" is indeed oil? I would be extremely concerned if it is indeed as wet as you describe but could just as easily be moisture/water from the road.

Check the dip stick and confirm the oil level in the car, to be honest I would be surprised if it was anything serious as surely it would be an MOT fail if it were.

I would take it into a garage to get it up on a lift and have someone look at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts