2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a bit of a quandry - I'm collecting my car this Wednesday and I don't know whether to ask the dealer if its possible for me to wait 3 weeks and have a "56" plate, or just go for the car now and have an "06" plate :?

Do you think there is still kudos in having a new car on 1st March & 1st September or are those days gone?

B.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Personally I think the new car registraion feeling was lost when they changed to the bi-yearly number plate system. I'm sure some people still take pride in getting a new car on the change over day, but the special feeling that you used to get once a year no longer exists, it's just another car produced in the same year as the earlier plates.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I agree. I took delivery of mine a week before the changeover. It's not going to make much difference in three years time anyway. Service history and condition are more important. 8)

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
The only thing might be when you sell it, it will always appear 6 mths older, but, I bet you couldn't sit at home knowing the car was ready for 3 weeks, if you can you are made of some strong stuff.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a similar thing with my Accord. It was on a 3yr lease, I then bought it from the lease company and sold it on (made enough for civic toys...). The only thing with having gone for the 0 rather than 5 plate so close to the change over was that I had to sell it fast prior to the changeover or would have lost money (there is still a slight effect caused by the changeover)

Fairly unique situation though so unless you expect a set 3yr timeframe to own the car then I know I wouldn't be able to hold off for 3 weeks with it sitting there!

If they "found" an EX for me for next week, hell I'd take it !

·
Definately Female!
2,967 Posts
Wait!! I waited about 6-7 weeks for the 1st March, it was a great feeling being one of the first on road with an 06 plate, im really glad I didnt get it registered on 55 now as when the 56 comes out mine would appear a year old. Three weeks will fly by :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
I didn't really think about it, until I order my car and they told me it would be ready for Sept 1st, then I got all excited about picking my car up and being one of the first with a 56 plate, it was a pretty cool feeling, and made me not mind the wait.

then they shifted the delivery back to the 10th :evil: :roll:

·
Registered
86 Posts
im getting my 1.8 EX on Thursday next week -

Dont get me wrong - it would be nice to have a 56 plate, but im really not that fussed about a bunch of letters and numbers - i'd much rather have my car 3 weeks earlier!!!!! :D

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Hang off for the 3 weeks if you can. When you come to trade in at some point in the future those 3 weeks could have cost you a good few pounds.

·
Registered
178 Posts
does perceived age really make that much difference? (honest question, not being facetious)

would a car registered on Aug 31st, be worth less one year on, than a car registered on Sept 1st?

common sense says it shouldn't be, but I can understand the perception of newer - which is why I'm waiting ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts