2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time post :D

I could well be looking to buy a 2.2cdt-i in the very near future. I am clocking up 118 miles a day and my 2.5V6 is proving a little too thirsty :shock:

It is a straight choice between a Volvo S60 D5 se (about a year old 10,000 miles) or a new Civic. I think the miles I do instantly requires the cdt-i, its just which spec to go for. Money is tight so the best I can really go for is an ES.

Am I correct in saying that the best discount I can hope for from Honda is 6.5%? If they can give me that, an excellent part-ex price and a free chrome gear nob and they may have a deal :lol:

Is Honda Happiness definitely not available on the diesel?

Are parking sensors a must?

Cheers

Nick

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Nick, welcome!

The ES is a good choice and it'll chew up those miles no problem. I wouldn't start worrying about a discount percentage when you have a PX. All that really matters is the price to swap - and dealers will move the figures around to make you happy, but ultimately the price to swap is the only number you should look at. To get a good deal, go to 2 or 3 dealers with the px and see what they offer (or better still sell the px in Autotrader).

Have a look here for a discussion on Honda Happiness:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/happiness-is-a-honda-vt462.html

When you reverse up to the front of another car, you can't see much so yes, the sensors are useful. But if cash is tight, I'd avoid buying anything from the dealer (and that includes paint protection and insurance) and get some after-market sensors. A good system can cost less than £100. Have a look here:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/fitting-rear-parking-sensors-vt630.html

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm doing about the same mileage and was also considering a volvo. But it was the S40. Was rather shocked when I sat in one at the dealers. In the Civic there is ample space to rest both your clutch and accel feet when cruising, but there was very little space in the S40. Also, when tried to adjust the seat back and the dial just fell out!

Ordered a black 2.2 ES with space wheel, rear sensors, mats for £16900, ... about 4.3% off list. Hmmm, probably could have done better, but am not a great haggler. My method was to try and get them to match drivethedeal.

Kind of regret going to dealer fit sensors rather than aftermarket. But definitely want sensors in one form or another. Should have read more of this forum first!

My dealer wouldn't do a diesel happiness.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I also had a look at a 2.0D volvo s40, and was actually tempted until I drove it. It's like driving a barn! slugish, rolls like a pig and sounds like one too!

It is quite a nice place to sit though, but not special enough for me, no regrets going for my 2.2 ES - can't wait for the 10th of Septmber now!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Nick , Ive just ordered a civic 2.2 ictdi after writing off my Volvo s60 d5, the s60 really was a superb car particularly on motorways, I covered 50k in it in 14 months and it did not let me down.
I just decided I fancied some thing different and as i am going back into co. car scheme the civic is a lot more cost effective.
On the volvos down side it had a poor turning circle ,poor boot access,(too shallow ) parts are very expensive ( mine was written off with minor visible damage ) , massive depreciation ( a good buy second hand )
But otherwise a difficult decision.
The s40 does not come close to the s60 in comfort , performance or build quality , but then it is based on a Focus !
Jimbo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Nick. Get the Civic!

I swapped my Volvo (new) S40 2.4 for the Civic iCDTI and although I did like the Volvo, the Civic is as quick (even though it's a diesel) and is as comfy, which is saying something as Volvo seats are great. The Volvo was harder to reverse as you can't really see anything out of the rear window due to the height of the boot and there is no rear wiper. Oh and the servicing/parts costs are very expensive. My first service was £350, it had to go. I would have thought the S60 is just as bad (reversing/service/parts) and the interior of the S60 is more dated than the S40, then in comparison to the Civic............... as others have said - space ship.

As Newboy says I got the Honda Happiness package - allthough it doesn't mention diesels are included in any of the literature I've read so it does seem inconsitent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

I have driven neither car, but I will soon put a stop to that :D

I have a feeling the Volvo would be too expensive to run, although 2 years free servicing is tempting.

I really want to go for the ES, the EX is out of the question, that is unless Motorpoint get some in pretty soon. I always say go for the best you can get, but even the ES might not be an option unless a I get a good deal. I really don't want to have to go for the SE, I like my gadgets and I really fancy cruise control.

I would ideally get an EX with leather and sunroof, but now I'm dreaming.

Is the Civic fairly cheap to run? Can I realistically expect 50mpg on my non-rush hour M1-M69-A46 daily drive?

Have got a great deal on insurance for it, £400 fully comp, ex or es :D

I simply adore the civic's interior, its top notch, I just wish I could find a decent nearly-new EX, but the prices are so high when compared to new otr costs.

Cheers

Nick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts