2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my '10 type s cdti on Saturday with 104k on it.

I have since read about clutch issues on here , thankfully mine seems ok.

The car feels fast if I give it some and pulls right through the rev range.

I've not filled up to measure tank to tank. Put 40quid and done 310 miles (mostly motorway.
Computer indicating 48mpg. I don't believe that judging by how much fuel is left.
I reckon it's more like 40mpg. And for the driving I've done seems a little low.

Couple of questions

Is it normal for the computer to be optimistic?

Should my economy be better?

I have already factored in cleaning egr and intake with it being on 100k.

In a morning at slow revs, it seems a bit erratic running...prob egr?

Car is very quiet so I don't think I have the exhaust manifold issue

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Couple of questions
Is it normal for the computer to be optimistic?
Should my economy be better?
I have already factored in cleaning egr and intake with it being on 100k.
To answer your questions:-

My computer seems to be fairly accurate
My economy is around 45mpg (146k and remapped stage 2)
Remap with egr off, once it is cleaned

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
My computer reads about 2 mpg over when compared with measuring fill to fill. Had as high as 60mpg showing on the display but that's on a steady motorway run (cruise set to 70mph).

·
Registered
172 Posts
From my experience and memory the 2.2 is not the most economical. It can be if kept at a steady constant speed. I had this engine in the Accord so possibly the civic may be more economical

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've not filled up to measure tank to tank. Put 40quid and done 310 miles (mostly motorway.
Computer indicating 48mpg. I don't believe that judging by how much fuel is left.
I reckon it's more like 40mpg. And for the driving I've done seems a little low.
That's about right, it depends on your right foot really, and what gear you're cruising in etc.

It depends how erratic it's running when cold, most diesels run choppy and lumpy when cold, if it's releasing loads of white smoke and turning over for ages, then I'd suggest the glow plugs are wearing out.
As for exhaust manifold, they don't make loads of noise, they make more of a ticking noise, like a bad injector seal. The tell tale symptom is exhaust fumes through the vents. And louder turbo noise, personally I wouldn't buy the 2.2 CDTI without information of the manifold being sorted. It's very hard to even find a mechanic willing to undergo the job at a fixed rate. Honda say it's a 6-7 hour job. Not many mechanics will do it for this price, it was always with hesitation or "if we don't have any issues!" Along with one "Well, we'd say it'd take longer than that." Not to mention the heap of others that flat out refused it or were "busy / fully booked for 2-8 weeks." - Which is why I opted to do the job myself, and I know the time and care has been done without rushing and bodging.

It's very hard for anyone to diagnose your vehicle over the internet. We can advise what to look out for etc. But it all boils down to your driving habits etc.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Check your brakes aren't binding on. See if the wheels are warm after a decent run. I had 2 brake calipers with split rubber boots on the sliders and the calipers were starting to seize. Some new boots and silicone grease on the sliders sorted it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Found a boost leak on hose to throttle body, tightened hose clip and cleaned it all up. Hopefully this will improve things a bit, it seemed a bit noiser and slower today. No smells tho 🤞

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's about right, it depends on your right foot really, and what gear you're cruising in etc.

It depends how erratic it's running when cold, most diesels run choppy and lumpy when cold, if it's releasing loads of white smoke and turning over for ages, then I'd suggest the glow plugs are wearing out.
As for exhaust manifold, they don't make loads of noise, they make more of a ticking noise, like a bad injector seal. The tell tale symptom is exhaust fumes through the vents. And louder turbo noise, personally I wouldn't buy the 2.2 CDTI without information of the manifold being sorted. It's very hard to even find a mechanic willing to undergo the job at a fixed rate. Honda say it's a 6-7 hour job. Not many mechanics will do it for this price, it was always with hesitation or "if we don't have any issues!" Along with one "Well, we'd say it'd take longer than that." Not to mention the heap of others that flat out refused it or were "busy / fully booked for 2-8 weeks." - Which is why I opted to do the job myself, and I know the time and care has been done without rushing and bodging.

It's very hard for anyone to diagnose your vehicle over the internet. We can advise what to look out for etc. But it all boils down to your driving habits etc.
Seen your thread on changing manifold, hats off to you. I may give it a go myself if(when) the need arises.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for driving habits, I've driven the following diesels.
2005-2008 A3 2.0pd
2008-2012 Mazda 6 2.0 TDI
2012-2015 A3 2.0 cr
2015-2020 03 focus 1.8tddi
For the last 38.5k in the focus, I've used fuelly and averaged 44.2 mpg with a top fuel up of 53.2 mpg (motorway to Scotland).

The Audi's showed about 45-47mpg on the AVG trip.

The Mazda .....36mpg! What a crap diesel that was!
I use anticipation to brake less. Just scrapped focus, there was around 50k on the front discs and pads and about 40% pad material left! I'd bought some pads cos figured they must need changing. They didn't!

The power delivery in the Honda is similar to the Mazda. Picks up from about 1800rpm all the way though the rev range but not a great deal below 2500rpm.

The Audi's and the focus had a narrowish power band and there really wasn't any point in revving them high.

I'm trying to avoid it in the civic for now just to check its economy.

Filled it this morning and went straight onto motorway and got an indicated 53. Done a bit of town driving after and it's showing 50.2 now. Suppose I'll only know once I run it tank to tank and check calculation on fuelly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not very impressed with that tbh, I've been driving as economically as I can. Gonna do this tank driving more normally without trying to save every last drop and see how it fares up then.

Trip computer b has about 6000 miles on it. That's displaying 45.1 mpg so I'm driving more efficiently than previous owner.

Does this look about right or should I be expecting more?

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mpg improved to 45mpg on this tank. That's quite good considering there has been no motorway and I have been giving it some on occasion.
Unfortunately, I'm convinced exhaust manifold has started leaking. No smells and it doesn't sound half as bad as @Lukey96 on his vid. However, I think I have some power loss and am sure it sounds like it's blowing..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts