2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to tell others about a problem that happened to our '06 plate 2.2 CDTi and what the eventual diagnosis and solution was. We had driven the car one night and went out the following day after it had snowed. Unfortunately I started the engine before clearing the snow off the windscreen and as the wipers had stopped fully out the night before, they immediately moved to the middle sweeping the snow down. The engine stopped and then the Airbag, Engine and VSA warning lights all came on and the Start Button was disabled. Called Breakdown but he was unable to get his diagnostics to talk to the car. Had the car recovered to an auto electrician but he also could not find the problem or be able to communicate with the Engine ECU. Had the ECU removed and sent to Powertune for diagnosis/ repair but they sent it back saying it was a Software Issue. Got ECU put back on the car and had it moved to Honda dealership for them to try and do a Software Update but the ECU would not take the update. They got a donor ECU which they then coded to the car and it started, so ECU definitely the fault. Had the choice to buy a new Honda ECU at £1100 or get a 2nd hand one, went with the second option and got one off EBay for £89. Gave this to Honda who coded it and got car running again. They informed me that if the wipers get frozen to the screen or overloaded as mine were then a spike voltage passes down via the Start circuit and spikes the ECU. Honda have now produced a modified relay with a diode fitted to fit in the wiper circuit to prevent this, had this fitted to mine to prevent reoccurance. Also had a new Fuel Filter fitted, cost of all the work by Honda - £506!! - ouch! But at least it's running again!

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Wow thanks for informing us of this issue. Hell of a lot you had to go through to diagnose this fault !! Will remeber this in future, when we do eventually get snow...

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Thanks , I have found bth fuse boxes but cant identify the correct relay , I cant believe how badly the drivers side fuse bx is located and presented so difficult to find and identify anything!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts