2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon.

My car seems to have lost power . And become less economical. I've checked all the boost hoses, they all look fine.
I'm using the torque app, and it looks like I'm not generating any vacuum...
I've took a couple of torque screenshots at tickover and 2k rpm (no load). Any suggestions are welcome apart from clutch. The clutch is fine!
Thanks

Paul

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,878 Posts
That's bad MPG! My default guess in such cases would be the EGR valve failing to properly close. There is a forum guide to cleaning it... How to clean / remove FK3 2.2 diesel EGR valve

Please do also rule out a binding brake!

Not sure why you mentioned vacuum? Being unthrottled, diesel engines do not generate manifold vacuum (vacuum for actuators, etc, is generated by a timing chain-driven pump on the 2.2 i-CTDi). Or have I misunderstood your point?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Egr done a couple of month ago. That got rid of the judder when cruising .There's a hose coming from the intake that has suction on it, that goes into a solenoid and then onto valve in throttle body. I just noticed that the vacuum/boost gauge never goes negative. Ignore that mpg from torque, it's nowhere near!

Think I do have an intermittent sticky rear caliper. Car just seems a bit gutless.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,878 Posts
I assume you'd have mentioned active DTCs, but have you checked for pending codes? Are you seeing decent boost under load? I guess you are, or you'd be getting an under-boost DTC

That pipe sounds like the Intake Manifold Runner Control actuation line, from (and modulated by) the frequency solenoid valve. The vacuum source to the FSV is the pump I mentioned.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok cheers. Yeh, no codes present. I created one messing about but cleared it off. Boost seems to come in strong at spool up torque shows about 17psi peak, once the revs rise above about 2500 to. the boost drops off to about 10psi - this is when it feels a bit slow!
No whistling sounds or contamination on any of boost hoses and intercooler looks clean. Are you saying it's normal for boost/vacuum pressure to never read negative?

I'd just guessed that with turbo not doing anything (at idle), that I'd get a negative pressure showing?

If I'm barking up the wrong tree then fair enough.

Can't see the caliper having such an effect. It'll roll down hill under its own weight so I wouldn't have thought it would be causing a big power loss

Fuel Tank about empty, AVG for this tank is showing 42 mpg. After cleaning egr and prior to this tank, I've I've been getting an indicated 48-49.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,878 Posts
On both screen prints you're getting just over 100KPa for intake (MAP, I assume?) which would be about right for no load conditions. Where and why are you expecting to see pressures below atmospheric? As I said - unlike a petrol - there is no engine-generated vacuum on a diesel.

Boost might drop off unexpectedly because the VNT mechanism or actuator has a fault. But it's more likely to be the EGR valve failing to close... I know you said you'd 'done' the EGR valve, but did you actually apply a vacuum to test it was working ok (rather than merely clean it)?

Best way to test for a binding brake is to check for excessive heat after a short run, especially in comparison to the other wheel hubs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That'll do. probably not mapped then!
Just noticed max boost, that can't be right, never seen it read that high

1 - 8 of 8 Posts