2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Photo of bleed bolt

Right finally found the bleed bolt after looking everywhere under the bonnet. It is under the engine cover, on the right hand side of the cylinder head.

It doesn't look like anything from the picture in the pdf though.

I have completed my coolant change now, and was much easier than I thought. I managed to undo the drain plug by putting my arm down the gap between radiator and the hose and was able to unscrew it.

There's a photo of the drain plug too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Where about was it ? I will try looking for it for soon for future reference, is it towards the right back or right front under the cover tray

Thanks
Well I'd say it's rather in the middle on the right side under the engine cover. If you look at my last picture, just got to look for that bosch sensor not far from it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Right finally found the bleed bolt after looking everywhere under the bonnet. It is under the engine cover, on the right hand side of the cylinder head.

It doesn't look like anything from the picture in the pdf though.

I have completed my coolant change now, and was much easier than I thought. I managed to undo the drain plug by putting my arm down the gap between radiator and the hose and was able to unscrew it.

There's a photo of the drain plug too.
Thanks for this abs.
Planning on doing mine tomorrow. Not had a 'bleed valve' before, I've been used to running the engine with the cap of the bottle and squeezing the hoses!
Do you have the engine running when you use the bleed valve? I'm guessing you do, to build up the pressure?

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Thanks for this abs.
Planning on doing mine tomorrow. Not had a 'bleed valve' before, I've been used to running the engine with the cap of the bottle and squeezing the hoses!
Do you have the engine running when you use the bleed valve? I'm guessing you do, to build up the pressure?
Yep engine on with the heater set to high and blower on max.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
The engine lock drain plug is at the back of the engine (above the engine oil drain plug). It's in a stupid position and a right faff to get to. It's also done up tight. If you find the RH outer CV joint and then look across to the exhaust pipe you should spot it. It's quite large (M14) and crucially it has a washer under it.

The Haynes manual makes no mention of this. In the end I decided not to bother and save the skin on my knuckles for the fuel filter tomorrow. The bleed screw isn't essential. Once air has reached that point in the engine it will get pushed along the pipe over the cylinder head and out into the expansion tank. The bleed screw does only take a minute to get to though, so you may as well. Just undo the 4 nuts on the engine cover.

The key thing I think is to make sure the thermostat opens. It's 24C here today and it still took nearly 25 mins for the thermostat to open! Once the thermostat is open the coolant goes in much more easily.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts