2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
You can do this but be aware that you will need to undo hoses to bypass the thermostat. It'll close if you poor cold water through it. Plus if you have hard water you need to flush it out with distilled/ soft water before you refill. I've only needed to use a house on old cars with lots of rust in them.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Ok thanks a lot!! Just dump it and refill it nice and simple! It's just recently serviced my l200 used forum advice there and they had me removing heater hoses are clearing them out with a hose flushing rads removing thermostats! Have to say it cleared loads of rubbish out! If you guys say a drain and fill is fine then that's what it will be!! Kind regards sam

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
You really need to assess the situation when you drain the coolant. Of it looks pretty clean then I would just fill and drain a few times. If a load of brown sludge comes out then I would consider flushing. Either way it takes a while. One method means sitting there waiting for an engine to warm up. The other means swearing at house clips!!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
If anyone has read this thread and is wondering about the fan turning on when the heater is on and how the fan turning on is part of the process in changing the coolant, then read the first line of the 'How To' which states as the very first thing to do is:

"Start the engine. Set the heater temperature control dial to maximum heat, then turn off the ignition switch. Make sure the engine and radiator are cool to the touch."

It seems this will help with fan turning on (required for step 16). I guess people skip over the first couple of lines 'like I did the first time I read it' :wink3:

p.s hope that made sense (it did in my head anyway)

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Thanks for this guide. We could not find the radiator and engine drain so we just removed the hose pipe to radiator.

The picture where the bleed valve is very helpful. Dunno why they made it so well hidden.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Hopefully this will be useful, pics of the drain plug for the 2.2 cdti. Got about 2L of coolant from the rear block. Pics are taken looking towards the front of the engine. The drain plug is about 20cm above the threaded blanks in the pic. Think I used an 18mm socket on a breaker bar with an extension. There's not much room and went behind the half shaft hence the extension.

Last pic is the drain plug washer I got from Cox, a little bit bigger than what is fitted. Had some copper washers that fitted.
Auto part Metal
Auto part Automotive engine part Engine
Auto part Metal

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m thinking of doing this, so got a couple questions.

Can anyone confirm what’s the size of the washer for coolant drain plug? On coxmotorparts you can get one and it’s 22mm. Bbb mentions it’s too big, so either that’s the wrong bolt on the pics above or there is another bolt you can drain from that has 22mm washer.

Does the car has to be level to drain out all fluid?

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
Just thought I'd add to this. I've owned my 2.2 for ten years now and it's NEVER had a coolant change since I had it. I've just topped it up every now and then at services.

Right, Honda will have you taking drain plugs out of the rear of the block and removing undertrays. You absolutely do not need to do this, just remove the acoustic plastic cover from the top of the engine, place a couple of drain bowls under the front of the car, reach down to the white drain screw on the bottom of the radiator, undo it, position the drain bowls to catch the coolant, take the expansion bottle cap off.

While it's all draining, go and make a brew, have said brew, chat to your neighbours. Once it's finished draining, tighten the drain screw up and top up the coolant with 50/50 ethylene glycol antifreeze. Fill very slowly and give the top and bottom rad hoses a good squeeze every now and then to help get the air out of the system. Crack the bleed nipple off on the front right of the head and make sure coolant comes out of it. Run the engine, top up coolant again if necessary when the engine is switched off again, fit the expansion bottle cap. Then give the lower crossmember a good swill with fresh water to remove any antifreeze that might have got on it.

That's it, happy days.

I got 5.5 litres out of the engine doing this. If you want to use Honda's method, be my guest. Yeah you might get that extra litre of coolant out, but it's a negligible amount left in there anyway. For the record, the coolant in my 2.2 was very clean, especially as it's never been changed in 15 years! :ROFLMAO:

See pic for how easy it is to access the white drain plug from above.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: Neil11

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just thought I'd add to this. I've owned my 2.2 for ten years now and it's NEVER had a coolant change since I had it. I've just topped it up every now and then at services.

Right, Honda will have you taking drain plugs out of the rear of the block and removing undertrays. You absolutely do not need to do this, just remove the acoustic plastic cover from the top of the engine, place a couple of drain bowls under the front of the car, reach down to the white drain screw on the bottom of the radiator, undo it, position the drain bowls to catch the coolant, take the expansion bottle cap off.

While it's all draining, go and make a brew, have said brew, chat to your neighbours. Once it's finished draining, tighten the drain screw up and top up the coolant with 50/50 ethylene glycol antifreeze. Fill very slowly and give the top and bottom rad hoses a good squeeze every now and then to help get the air out of the system. Crack the bleed nipple off on the front right of the head and make sure coolant comes out of it. Run the engine, top up coolant again if necessary when the engine is switched off again, fit the expansion bottle cap. Then give the lower crossmember a good swill with fresh water to remove any antifreeze that might have got on it.

That's it, happy days.

I got 5.5 litres out of the engine doing this. If you want to use Honda's method, be my guest. Yeah you might get that extra litre of coolant out, but it's a negligible amount left in there anyway. For the record, the coolant in my 2.2 was very clean, especially as it's never been changed in 15 years! :ROFLMAO:

See pic for how easy it is to access the white drain plug from above.

View attachment 322122
How did you channel the coolant away from the top of the undertray?

61 - 74 of 74 Posts