2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just looking for some advice on what I should replace while getting the timing chain replaced. I intend on buying this timing kit and was wondering what else should be done while this work is being carried out. As an example, should the water pump be done, should the oil pump chain be done etc.

The car has 218 000 miles on the clock and has not had this type of work done in the past.

I like to buy all the parts for the mechanic ahead of time and don't want to forget anything, I also only buy genuine Honda parts.

Also, it it true that the injectors need to be removed to do this?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
373 Posts
The valve cover has to be removed so if you need to remove the injectors to do that then yes.

The oil pump chain should be fine but if you do change it you will need to drop the sump too which can add onto the labour cost. Might be worth cleaning the oil pump filter in the sump rather than replace the whole assembly.

Edit:
I'd also replace the glow plugs if they haven't been replaced before.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
The valve cover has to be removed so if you need to remove the injectors to do that then yes.

The oil pump chain should be fine but if you do change it you will need to drop the sump too which can add onto the labour cost. Might be worth cleaning the oil pump filter in the sump rather than replace the whole assembly. I'd also get the spark plugs replaced too.
You mean glow plugs?

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The oil pump chain should be fine but if you do change it you will need to drop the sump too which can add onto the labour cost. Might be worth cleaning the oil pump filter in the sump rather than replace the whole assembly.

Edit:
I'd also replace the glow plugs if they haven't been replaced before.
I assume you would have to drop the sump to clean the filter ya?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi all, just looking for some advice on what I should replace while getting the timing chain replaced. I intend on buying this timing kit and was wondering what else should be done while this work is being carried out. As an example, should the water pump be done, should the oil pump chain be done etc.

The car has 218 000 miles on the clock and has not had this type of work done in the past.

I like to buy all the parts for the mechanic ahead of time and don't want to forget anything, I also only buy genuine Honda parts.

Also, it it true that the injectors need to be removed to do this?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated .
Has the timing chain failed? Actually snapped? The 2.2 CDTI's have noisy timing chains, you can put a new timing chain on it and within 10-20K miles it'd sound the exact same.

With 218K miles this engine is on its last legs, some see 350K miles but they're fully serviced.

If it genuinely needs a timing chain, then this engine hasn't been well maintained. If the oil isn't neglected the chain out lasts the car & other engine components such as the piston rings.

I personally would get a new engine from the junk yard for £150-£250 and have it swapped out for a lower mileage one. And change the water pump and thermostat before reinstalling the engine. You'd probably have more labour charges having the above work done than having the engine swapped out. You can find 100-120K engines on eBay etc.

With genuine Honda parts you're looking well into the thousands, for a £500-£600 car tops. Then the question of what else has been neglected and how long will other components last? With that kind of mileage I can guarantee all the wheel bearings, and suspension & bushings are all tired and showing their age.

If I recall of the top of my head the genuine Honda timing kit is around £600-£800, then on top you want a water pump (£200ish) and I can ascertain from personal experience once the mechanic is pulling things apart he'll find other broken items needing replacement.

So with timing chain, water pump and then whatever suspension and maybe even tyres it needs you'll probably be £3,500-£4,500 deep into a £600 car. It's just uneconomical to repair. You can get a clean 9G for that money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts