2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cars hesitating on cold start in the cold weather. It sounds like it's about to start then doesn't quite catch but will then start pretty much straight after.

I suspected the battery or the glow plugs. Both never been replaced since the car was new in 08. I've put a meter across the battery and only getting 11.9 volts. I left the +ve on the battery and put the -ve on each glow plug and they're reading 11.9v same as the battery so it's safe to rule out the glow plugs.

Now I've read a bit on the forum about the glow plug relay being a common issue.

I don't want to shell out for a new battery without being certain it's that.

Anyone got any views on this or know what tell tale signs are of the relay failing ?

Thanks

Dan

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,813 Posts
No voltage getting to the glow plugs would be a sign of the relay failing. Seeing as how you have a voltmeter, next time you do a cold start connect the black lead to battery neg/chassis and the red lead to a glow plug connection. When you switch on the ignition (don't crank) battery voltage should be present on all pins (you may have to move quickly!), indicating that the relay AND all connections are sound - no volts means that the relay has probably failed. It is useful that you have already checked glow plug continuity to rule out failed glowplugs.

There are other reasons for poor starting when cold... fuel draining back to the tank overnight, EGR valve sticking open or a poor battery (which would be high on my list, given the apparently low voltage present).

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input mate. That makes sense. I think I'll order a battery and see what the outcome of that is. If I still have issues I'll test the relay :)
I looked at a tester to test the cold cramping amps of the battery but at £60 I might as well just buy a new battery. At 11.9 Volts I think mines had its day.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,813 Posts
it wouldn't hurt to do the relay check... even if you just do one glowplug voltage test when cold it would prove the relay was OK (or not).

But I still reckon it's probably the battery. Honda are about the best place to buy a replacement, in my opinion (both in terms of cost and Ah/CCA ratings).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts