2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched the forum and only saw one other instance of this, but though it worth describing the problem to help any others.

The car smelt of diesel after driving and noticed that it left a fuel spill patch on the driveway.

I had to remove the large, main under-shield (towards the rear of the car) to identify the leak.
I found the problem. The fuel return line is made of steel. It connects to a rubber fuel pipe and has an olive to help seal the join. The steel fuel pipe with the olive is inserted into another steel pipe and where these two join (factory fit) the design relies on paint to stop it corroding (rather than corrosion resistant materials). I'm guessing this is to reduce the amount of copper or other challenging to recycle materials in the car. The car is only 7 years old and I think the parts should last longer than this, but Honda Customer Support won't help on a car older than 6 years.

I called my local Honda dealer (Johnsons in MK) who said it was nothing out of the ordinary and that fuel pipes corrode all the time. Based on the pictures I emailed them they quoted me £724. They also said the part is plastic, which is isn't and cannot be bought individually.

I searched the internet and found another dealer that listed the parts on line: http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SMG60 1&block_02=B__0402&block_03=16539)
I then contacted another local dealer (Northampton) who helped me identify the particular part which was £59.60.

I had to remove the main fuel filler pipe, disconnect the fuel tank pipes from under the hand-brake, drain and drop the fuel tank in order to remove this return fuel pipe. I managed to drain the majority of the fuel tank by disconnecting the rubber pipe next to the corroded section which was slow, but self siphoned, meaning I didn't need any special tools to undo the top of the tank. The replacement part was plug and play.

So if you smell fuel, check for a patch under the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had to join after lurking for a while just to reply to this one! I have the exact same fault just looking at the car now to work out how to fix, unfortunately lings is down for the parts diagram.

Looking forward to removing the tank!

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had a look at this and took it to the garage who do my mots, they are going to replace the corroded part with a rubber fuel hose to solve this rather than dropping the tank etc.

Hopefully this will be a cheaper way of fixing it.

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about sliding a rubber hose over, but you can't put another olive in place and there wasn't enough room next to the bracket that secures all these pipes to leave enough clearance (especially without an olive).

The other problem I had was finding hose with a big enough diameter. It's 12-13 mm and most places only stock up to 10mm although I did see some on ebay, but I couldn't wait for the shipping delay. My local Honda dealer got the OEM part the next day.

If you don't want to drain the tank, you could always run it till it's dry if it's not too bad. Mine was leaking a lot though.

The Honda part number for the return pipe bit that leads all the way to the back of the car and back round again (funny design but I think it's to cool the returned diesel fuel) is: 17741-SMJ-E02

·
Registered
29 Posts
All sorted by garage with a piece of rubber hose instead of the grey pipe that rusts on the bend. Super cheap too, just hope it lasts!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks very much.
Very helpful and useful, mine did similar. I found the fuel spilled on the ground and he took me more than 30 min to notice that it was from my car. So I went to the garage he said that he needs to remove the tank and quoted me £160. No other option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts