2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 2.2 Civic diesel. Most of the time it start really easy but every so often it just turns and turns and wont fire. I searched on line for a solution and read that the PGM-FI relay can cause this. I looked at the e maual I have and it tells me this relay is under the dash on the right hand side, I have searched and searched and cant see this anywhere! So three questions.

1. is it likely to be the PGM-FI relay on a 2.2 diesel?
2. Where can I find the PGM-FI relay
3. can someone post a pci of it so I can see what it looks like.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
It could be worth checking your battery. Had similar problems and then flat battery from leaving the interior lights on for 30mins.

Similar problem when my headlights were left on for 10~15min.

Replacement battery and things have been ok so far.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
I have not heard of a relay causing starting problems on any Honda diesels.

And, if it's happily cranking over at a reasonable rate, then it won't be the battery.

Intermittent i-CTDi starting problems are often caused by an inability of the fuel pump to achieve sufficient fuel rail pressure at cranking speed... usually either an excessively leaky injector or a leaky rail overpressure relief valve (has to reach 200 bar minimum while cranking), but the car will still run OK once started as the mechanical (engine-driven) fuel pump is rotating much faster - there is a fair bit of advice on both these issues if you search the forum.

Try using 'Easi-start' spray (or similar) when the engine is refusing to start... if it then starts it's definitely a fuelling problem, if not then it may well be an electrical problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I read about the PGM FI relay being an issue but didn't think my diesel would have one. Don't think it's battery as it cranks fine and for many tires until it starts. Does sound like fueling as when it's running it's fine. Old style diesels I have had have always been fuel problems when they had starting troubles but this is the first modern diesel I have owned. Will try easy start next time it miss behaves.

Is the pressure release valve easy/cheap to replace?

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I read about the PGM FI relay being an issue but didn't think my diesel would have one. Don't think it's battery as it cranks fine and for many tires until it starts. Does sound like fueling as when it's running it's fine. Old style diesels I have had have always been fuel problems when they had starting troubles but this is the first modern diesel I have owned. Will try easy start next time it miss behaves.

Is the pressure release valve easy/cheap to replace?
you would get a eml light if any part of pgm f1 circuit was faulty, when it does not start try pumping the hand bleed ball under the middle of scuttle panel see is this when pumped makes a difference, if it does then a air leak on fuel low pressure side of pump could be a option, what you need is a good diagnostic scan with live data to know whats doing what, toyota have issues with the hot wire in the maff corroding and when gets damp changes the resistance and stops the fueling. intermittent faults are a nightmare with out the correct scanned info available, end up replacing stuff that was working fine else. get hold of a autocom cdp+ from china the best £64 you'll ever spend,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts